Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

S-Planar 60mm / 100mm or maybe something else? Need help!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: S-Planar 60mm / 100mm or maybe something else? Need help! Reply with quote

Hi all,

at the moment i own a Kiron 105mm 2.8 and Vivitar 90mm 2.5 with 1:1 extender for my macro shots. I know these lenses are good but what i want is one macro lense which is sharp and also offers 1:1 ability without any tubes or extenders.
I started to look around a bit and found the S-Planar lenses for C/Y mount and they it looks like they are what i want....or maybe not. Wink
Informations about the 100mm 2.8 S-Planar seem to be very rare and the 100mm 2.0 version is put in focus but this one is too expensive for me.
The lense will mainly be used for close up and macro shooting on a Sony A7 or A7II in the future.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.8/100mm S-Planar is a fantastic lens indeed and I highly recommend it.
The 2.8/60mm also offers 1:1, but I always preferred the 100mm over it due to better working distance.
The latter ZF 2/100mm is much more pricey and suffers from severe CA, I sold mine because of that.

Image quality wise you will not see a massive improvemenet against the excellent Kiron 105mm, but
the long and very fine focusing throw up to 1:1 helps of course for your intended work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Klaus! So if there will be no big improvement maybe i should keep my money for now. I just thought about owning a macro lense with the Zeiss 3D pop even if some people say it only exists in people minds.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: S-Planar 60mm / 100mm or maybe something else? Need help Reply with quote

dbuergi wrote:

at the moment i own a Kiron 105mm 2.8 and Vivitar 90mm 2.5 with 1:1 extender for my macro shots. I know these lenses are good but what i want is one macro lense which is sharp and also offers 1:1 ability without any tubes or extenders.

kiron 105mm goes 1:1 on it's own

other macro lenses that go 1:1 on their own: tomioka 60mm/2.8 under different brands like yashinon or mamiya sekor, macro takumar 50mm/4 older version, vivitar 55mm/2.8 and it's sibling 90mm/2.8 made by Komine that come in many mounts and brands, canon fd 200mm/4 macro

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO you have all you need, but if you still want to reconcile with your inner feelings(!), instead of paying too much on Zeiss/Leica, get one of the new autofocusing adapters for Sony as well as a contemporary macro lens from Canon or Sigma. This investment could give you a global reach to many nice AF lenses and also should be cheaper.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbuergi wrote:
Thank you Klaus! So if there will be no big improvement maybe i should keep my money for now. I just thought about owning a macro lense with the Zeiss 3D pop even if some people say it only exists in people minds.

Honestly, if I were you, I would rather wait and save for the now increasingly getting cheaper Voigtlander Apo 2.5/125mm or Apo MaKro Elmarit 100mm!!

In the meantime I would possibly shell out some bucks for an achromatic diopter of suitable strength, as it keeps the speed of your lens and won't introduce CA.
Minolta and Leitz ("ELPRO") made really good ones (don't buy cheap ones, not worth it!!). http://www.ki.tng.de/~sgude/achromats.html#chart