Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Mystery Vivitar
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Mystery Vivitar Reply with quote

So I got a Vivitar 75-200 for $13, including shipping, broken the other week. The aperture blades dripped oil and the internal lenses had some dust. After blowing the dust off the lenses with compressed air and cleaning the blades, I decided to keep the lens. Partly because I made a modification internally just to see what would happen.

But I'll get to that in a minute. My big curiosity about this lens is it's background. I tried to look up the info based on the SN, but the online Vivitar resource doesn't list who made lenses starting with "77." The full SN is 77209659.

As for the mod I made on the inside, the aperture range was controlled by a piece of metal on an internal arm. I took the little piece of metal off (it was screwed on) and the lens went from an f4.5 to 22 to an f9 to unknown. The old f22 setting was enormous compared to the pinhole aperture it now has when stopped down. This week I'll take some test shots at the old stop-down level and the new. If it fails miserably, I kept all the parts to undo the mod.

David

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

77 is Kobori made. I have a 80-200 made by Kobori that i really like.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, you've created the world's first pinhole zoom lens? Should be fun! Of course, IQ will be much like any other pinhole cam.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took the modified lens out last night to photograph with. It didn't fit onto my K-7. The mount said P/K, and even fit inside my K1000. So, when I got home (I didn't try it on my K-7 before going into the field... I know,) I was able to modify it to fit.

Most importantly, this demonstrates that Pentax's claim that ALL K-mount lenses will fit on ALL K-mount bodies is untrue. This lens had to be modified to fit. On the K-mount there's a spring-loaded arm that provides aperture interface with the camera. There's also a metal ring next to it for some reason. That ring was undamaged, but shaped differently (photos to come.)

So, the lens now fits. Photos to come later this week.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Most importantly, this demonstrates that Pentax's claim that ALL K-mount lenses will fit on ALL K-mount bodies is untrue.

I don't think Pentax makes that claim. All PENTAX k-mount lenses will fit; lenses from 3rd-party lensmakers, who reverse-engineered but didn't licence the PK mount, may not fit unmodified. Not all PK interpretations are equal, especially the infamous KR (Ricoh) mount with its nasty pin. Vivitar is well-known for having marketed a few lenses with oversize linkage shields. Don't blame Pentax for what others have done.