Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soligor 20mm f/2.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 6:42 am    Post subject: Soligor 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

Got a copy of this lens by chance. Pretty small, on the size of a 50mm f/1.8. C/Y mount. I was always wondering why Soligor made C/Y mount lenses, as Contax users I guess wouldn't even consider Soligor. Anyway, here are two sample pictures for flowers (which may not be a good use of this lens). When I get a chance going outside, I'll further see how it behaves.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a 28mm or 20mm?

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Got a copy of this lens by chance. Pretty small, on the size of a 50mm f/1.8. C/Y mount. I was always wondering why Soligor made C/Y mount lenses, as Contax users I guess wouldn't even consider Soligor.

Price, certainly. But this compact Soligor (if C/D version) is a solid performer and was a viable option. I suspect a Kobori/Koboron lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Soligor 20mm f/2.8 Reply with quote

vivaldibow wrote:
Got a copy of this lens by chance. Pretty small, on the size of a 50mm f/1.8. C/Y mount. I was always wondering why Soligor made C/Y mount lenses, as Contax users I guess wouldn't even consider Soligor. Anyway, here are two sample pictures for flowers (which may not be a good use of this lens). When I get a chance going outside, I'll further see how it behaves.

Oh very cool! It sort of has that soap-bubble bokeh going on there in your first image. I have been on the lookout for one of these Soligors. From my previous searches, it sounded like this same lens may have also been branded as a Spiratone Plura-coat 20/2.8 or as a Cambron 20/2.8. But I haven't seen this proven out necessarily. They all do bear striking resemblance though.

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Is this a 28mm or 20mm?

It is the 20mm C/D MC version.

Pancolart wrote:

Price, certainly. But this compact Soligor (if C/D version) is a solid performer and was a viable option. I suspect a Kobori/Koboron lens.

The front ring does have the C/D and MC. The multi-coat seems quite effective. To me, it looks Kobori as well. This lens is relatively modern compared to other Soligors.

justtorchit wrote:

Oh very cool! It sort of has that soap-bubble bokeh going on there in your first image. I have been on the lookout for one of these Soligors. From my previous searches, it sounded like this same lens may have also been branded as a Spiratone Plura-coat 20/2.8 or as a Cambron 20/2.8. But I haven't seen this proven out necessarily. They all do bear striking resemblance though.

Thanks. The bubbles are quite pleasing to me eyes. I am sure if used at a certain situation, the bubbles can be a nice part of the photo.
I somehow remember the Spiratone is slightly larger, but my memory could be wrong. I'll need to locate where my Spiratone is and make a comparison.

One thing I'd like to add is that this lens is sharp enough at close distance; but at longer distance, the sharpness seems to start to drop.

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad for close shots , contax users wouldn't have lots of cheap options on this focal , so third party could be worth it ,even though there was big compromise regarding image quality ,comparing zeiss or yashica lenses (don't remember yashica 20-21mm FL)

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Not bad for close shots , contax users wouldn't have lots of cheap options on this focal , so third party could be worth it ,even though there was big compromise regarding image quality ,comparing zeiss or yashica lenses (don't remember yashica 20-21mm FL)

The Zeiss 20mm must have been insanely expensive. I don't know if the Yashica 21/3.5 was much cheaper, it's a very fine lens! I don't have anything to compare it's performance to except a Vivitar 20/3.8 (it kills that one) but so far I've been very happy with it.

Don't forget that many amateurs had C/Y cameras too... something such as the Yashica FX-D or the Contax 139 was surely not paired with the premium Zeiss glass. You might find those sets with the Zeiss 50's 28's or 135 and sometimes 25 but never any of the "extreme" focal lengths. So it must have made sense for 3rd party manufacturers such as soligor to offer a reasonably priced alternative.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:

marius.zaech wrote:

The Zeiss 20mm must have been insanely expensive. I don't know if the Yashica 21/3.5 was much cheaper, it's a very fine lens! I don't have anything to compare it's performance to except a Vivitar 20/3.8 (it kills that one) but so far I've been very happy with it.

Don't forget that many amateurs had C/Y cameras too... something such as the Yashica FX-D or the Contax 139 was surely not paired with the premium Zeiss glass. You might find those sets with the Zeiss 50's 28's or 135 and sometimes 25 but never any of the "extreme" focal lengths. So it must have made sense for 3rd party manufacturers such as soligor to offer a reasonably priced alternative.

Thanks very much for the comments. It makes perfect sense. I also have a C/Y mount Vivitar CF 28mm f/2. I guess it is for the similar reason.