Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Lens CLA
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 7:53 pm    Post subject: Lens CLA Reply with quote

Anybody have a US based lens repair service they recommend? I futz with low value items (and ruin some dammit!* ) but more expensive items I would like to send to a trained and vetted professional.

*Like the Canon FD 100mm 2.8 ssc that had a tiny spot of fungus on the inside of the base lens I thought I could easily remove. You kno the three inward facing screws on the base? I though that was just a barrier to keep debris out of the interior. Nope. Its the bottom of a bearing race. When I took it out about a hundred (OK not that many but lots!) of ~1mm ball bearings jumped all over. Some inside the helicoid. If anyone is interested in fixing it it is for sale on e-bay.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of those life lessons that's like salt in the eyes.

Too bad you didn't see this current thread a few days ago.
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4575560
I learned early to investigate every new lenses aperture mechanics for the ball bearing bonanza before digging into the mount, on Topcor's you can often just rotate the lens and hear the balls clink against each other in a cascade 't-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t-t'.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently have a go-to repair shop and am interested to hear what others might have to say as well. It seems in most cases, it really depends on what you're having repaired. I know some shops specialize in very specific brands and eras of equipment. As far as a generalist, I had KEH repair an old Tamron SP 400mm f/4 some years ago now and they did a nice job. More recently I went in search of someone who might repair my Bronica PS 50-100mm lens and no repairs shops will touch it citing a lack of Bronica repair manuals and warning about availability of parts. I had just hoped someone might take a look and assess. If it's only adjustments, great! If it needs parts, so be it. At least I will know. Anyway, KEH again said they will take a look at least so that's likely where it will go.