Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

How old for this Helios 44 M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: How old for this Helios 44 M39 Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I'm new here and found this nice forum while searching for informations about an Helios 44 m39-mount.
I'm french (sorry if my english is very aproximative...) and I recently fall in love with the manual focus with a digital camera (Lumix GF1).
I bought this Helios and I wonder what was its "birthday year"...
It is a model for export I think (no cyrillic), has 13 blades and m39-mount.
The serial number begins with 02, so I can't date it...
Is there someone who could tell me something about it's year of fabricaton ?
Two shots of the lens and for the pleasure one token this morning with it Smile

The serial number : N°0226171

Last edited by caribou on Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by caribou on Sun May 22, 2011 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bienvenue!

A new user's first post can't contain images, it's an anti-spam measure. You'll be fine now.

Unfortunately I can't help date your lens but I'm sure someone more informed will be along soon.

EDIT - this link might help you:
http://forum.mflenses.com/complete-list-of-helios-lenses-getting-closer-t26100.html

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks for your welcome Wink
Thanks for the link, I already found it but I still can't find a precise year for this lens (or perhaps I miss something).

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early 60s for sure, will be made to fit the Zenit 3M so is M39 with the M42 register. I have seen an identical M42 lens with a 66 serial.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can probably narrow it to 1963 or 1964. Otherwise, I don't think you can be much more specific.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 00xxxx serial 44 lens. Early 60s is an estimate. The ones that start with zeros are early runs.

Also the register distance is not the same as my M42 mount Helios lenses.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I have a 00xxxx serial 44 lens. Early 60s is an estimate. The ones that start with zeros are early runs.

Also the register distance is not the same as my M42 mount Helios lenses.

Interesting, if the register is different then they must be for one of the RF M39 Russian cameras, I just figured it would be for the Zenit-3M because the one I saw before was for that camera and as this one looks identical in construction you would figure it would be the same.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
... will be made to fit the Zenit 3M so is M39 with the M42 register.

According to the Zenit site ...

http://www.zenitcamera.com/mans/zenit-3m/zenit-3m.html

... the operating distance (Рабочее расстояние) is 45.2 mm not 45.5 mm (the normal M42 register).

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Interesting, if the register is different then they must be for one of the RF M39 Russian cameras,

The early Russian SLRs used an M39 mount with a 45.2 mm register. The Russian RF mount register is much shorter.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot everybody for those really interesting informations Smile

About the operating distance, I can mount this lens on a GF1 via a m4/3=>M42 adapter... in fact I use a m4/3=>m39 adapter plus an extension tube in m39, the total length is the same than with a m42 adapter.