Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Bad M42 adapter?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:50 pm    Post subject: Bad M42 adapter? Reply with quote

This is shot with a Vivitar 28 2.5 at f8. Shot is at infinity. I think the adapter is to thin and it's going past infinity. I have other shots I can post if it helps.This is the Kiron version.
Tell me what you think.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never owned an M42 adapter that stops the lens at infinity! I think manufacturers prefer them to go slightly past infinity, to counter any issues around changing temperatures. Or they're just rubbish at getting the right thickness Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
I've never owned an M42 adapter that stops the lens at infinity! I think manufacturers prefer them to go slightly past infinity, to counter any issues around changing temperatures. Or they're just rubbish at getting the right thickness Laughing

+1 and adapter maker usually make adapters to pass infinity, to buyer send them back if not reach infinity with a lens. Buyers not really care trouble maker is lens not the adapter.

My Pixco adapters for Sony-NEX, m4/3 all pass infinity , need to set all of my lenses to a few mm before infinity mark. Kiwi made Samsung NX adapters I have two of them reach infinity exactly at infinity mark.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is possible to keep the lens stops exactly at the infinity mark if and only if:

camera register distance + adapter thickness = register distance of the adapted lens

If the difference of the value in both side is less than 0.02mm, the lens should stop at the exact/near exact infinity position. High quality adapters made will have a tight tolerance so they will allow more lens reach infinity exactly at infinity mark but they are much expensive than the mass produced budget adapters.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
It is possible to keep the lens stops exactly at the infinity mark if and only if:

camera register distance + adapter thickness = register distance of the adapted lens

If the difference of the value in both side is less than 0.02mm, the lens should stop at the exact/near exact infinity position. High quality adapters made will have a tight tolerance so they will allow more lens reach infinity exactly at infinity mark but they are much expensive than the mass produced budget adapters.

Less than 0.02mm for wide angle lens -- distance variation with shorter focal length lens has more effect than with longer focal length.

Some lenses focus past infinity anyway, to provide a compensation range for temperature-related dimensional changes of optics & mechanics.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone.I also noticed but didn't mention that the lens goes past the 12 oclock position. I might try to shim it and recheck it.
I will pickup a battery for my digital caliper so I can check the exact thickness of the adapter.