Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Haminar 135 f3.5 preset
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Haminar 135 f3.5 preset Reply with quote

Sorry guys I haven't been on the forum in quite a while. I've had sickness in the family. Also lack of funds, so I haven't been out taking pictures either.
Hopefully I will be around more. I know I've promised tests on some of my lenses. Now maybe I can get them done.

I was trolling Ebay today and came across a Hanimar 135 f3.5 preset.
I bought it for .99 cents. No one else bid.
As you can see it's apart but looks complete. Anyone know the maker of this one?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back ,I hope all is well?
I think Hanimex made hanimar
http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Hanimex

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hanimex and Hanimar seem to be the same merchant, but I don't know who made that lens. It looks similar to lenses branded as Chinon amongst other names.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mo it's good to be back.Everyone is doing well right now.
I found one other picture of this lens on the net. Here is a link to an assembled one, side view.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nesster/3107511809/in/photostream/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is funny! Tube and aperture design is made just like those Japan T2 tele lenses 5.6/300mm, 6.3/400mm and 8/500mm sold under various brand names: Beroflex, Rubimat, Universar...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless someone knows of a canonical list of Hanim** lenses, I fear that tracking down lensmakers might be rather difficult. I have had three (3) Hanim** 135's, all quite different, and none much resembling my other off-brand Japanese-made 135's: Focal, Opticam, Rokinon, Chinar, Porst, Sears (2x), Sunset, Suntar. Didn't Jack Hannes just market whatever was cheap?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Unless someone knows of a canonical list of Hanim** lenses, I fear that tracking down lensmakers might be rather difficult. I have had three (3) Hanim** 135's, all quite different, and none much resembling my other off-brand Japanese-made 135's: Focal, Opticam, Rokinon, Chinar, Porst, Sears (2x), Sunset, Suntar. Didn't Jack Hannes just market whatever was cheap?

I think low end but maybe some middle to upper.

I have seen and identified, Hanim*** lenses made by Sankor,and Komine

Take a look at this one. I'm not going to bid on it if anyone is interested,
but I wouldn't mind having a copy to test.
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks really nice, the only hanimex I have seen are the more modern looking ones with the green ring/stripe around the front.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walter g wrote:

I have it and it is one of the nicest 135mm lenses. Really heavy, quality finish. Sadly i didn't test it yet.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking the one I provided the Ebay link to might be Tokina made.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
walter g wrote:

I have it and it is one of the nicest 135mm lenses. Really heavy, quality finish. Sadly i didn't test it yet.

When you test it I'd like to see the results. I expect the lens will test out pretty well. It kinda reminds me of the top end of the Soligor line.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early 1960s Hanimex UK were the distributor for Tamron.

In 1965 almost or all of their line up were made by Tokina (Amateur Photographer review to follow if required)

Last edited by precertvideo on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The canonical account of the history of Hanimex was published in Photographic Trader a few years ago, soon after founder Jack Hannes' passing and the company was taken over by Fuji.

To answer the questions:

Hanimex was the company, acronym for Hannes Import & Export, a Sydney-based firm. Lenses were sold under the Hanimar name for some time.

Hannes imported a variety of goods, mainly photographic, and mainly for sale in Australia, but then it expanded internationally as well. It can thus be possible to track down the OEM who made Hanimex-branded products, at least the earlier cameras (say 60s and 70s) might not see a perfect match: Hannes drove a hard bargain and requested the OEMs to supply special versions with somewhat down-graded specifications, so that he would be able to sell at lower prices.

While it is true that Hanimex catered for the lower end of the market, some of the products were actually quite decent. As they kept switching suppliers it would be impossible to tell if, say, a 135/3.5 Hanimex lens is any good!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pancolart wrote:
Now this is funny! Tube and aperture design is made just like those Japan T2 tele lenses 5.6/300mm, 6.3/400mm and 8/500mm sold under various brand names: Beroflex, Rubimat, Universar...

Yes! I thought exactly the same thing. I have a Hanimex branded 6.3/400 that has the exact same design of grip for focusing, definitely came out of the same factory. I have an Optomax branded 8/500 that is the same as well. I also have a 5.6/300 branded Pentor but that one is slightly different in looks.

So does this mean rather than being similar to a Sonnar type like most 135s, this one is a doublet like those longer T2s? If so, it will probably lack contrast, only be sharp in the centre with soft dull corners as that's my experience with the longer versions.

That fat bodied Hanimex on ebay reminds me of the shape of the Tair-11.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walter: There is a recent post about an INA 135mm where the swirling is nearly as bad (good?) as that basket case 180mm you got from me. Perhaps you can put that at the top of your list to show results of your fix.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the pics from that basket case, looked very strange, I thought that case was down to the lens missing the tube at the back that has a T2 thread to fit the lens adn an M42 to fit the body. The register for T2 is long, 57.something I think, whereas M42 is around 45mm so being 12mm out would make for some very out of focus effects like that swirling.

I saw a similar thing today, I removed the lens from an old Hanimar camera, removed the shutter, epoxied a 10mm M42 extension tube in the back as mount and tried it on my EOS. It's hopeless, the register must be short on the Hanimar camera so it's miles out ot focus and the images did remind me of the basket ones.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Walter: There is a recent post about an INA 135mm where the swirling is nearly as bad (good?) as that basket case 180mm you got from me. Perhaps you can put that at the top of your list to show results of your fix.

As soon as the I get the Hanimar. I will run a test roll.Lenses to be tested on this roll will be.
1) Ina 180
2) Hanimar 135
3) Juplen 135
Maybe 1 other lens. I'm still undecided which one.
Because of doctor appointments for my dad it will be about a week, before i will post results.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 quick shot from the Haminar 135 f3.5. I'm still having focusing problems with the 10D. Human error, Sensor problems, or diopter problems? Anyway I will start a seperate thread on that.