Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Voigtländer Lanthar 2.8/50 @ EOS
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:48 pm    Post subject: Voigtländer Lanthar 2.8/50 @ EOS Reply with quote

My latest experiment...

Lanthar @ EOS by LucisPictor, on Flickr

Does not focus to infinity yet. But it's possible!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is the image quality? How did you make the mount?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Unlike on large format, this lens is a basic lens so not expect much, I look forward also result.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
David wrote:

Unlike on large format, this lens is a basic lens so not expect much, I look forward also result.

Indeed. It's a simple lens taken from a broken viewfinder cam.
The mount is just a body cap, but I will need to make a new one based on an M42-EOS-adapter which will get the lens closer to the sensor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: lanthar Reply with quote

Lucis,

Awesome hack - and some nice pics - I also like the odd "diamond" bokeh rendering in the highlights of the red maple shot.

Voigtlanders are a treasure trove for lens hackers. The company had a reputation for abosultely wonderful lenses, but mediocre mechanical construction when it came to the design of stable folding cameras. Some other models, Bessamatics, Prominents, etc. were exceptionally well made, however.

In any case, as a result, there is usually quit a bit of nice Voigtlander glass hanging around that have outlived the cameras they came with.

Just as a quick aside, this is probably been stated many times, so I apologize if I am wasting bandwidth on an old subject but, for the most part, here are some broad generalizations (read as "extremely subjective and based on personal opinion Very Happy ) about classic Voigtlander glass. High end, Medium range and lower end refer movre to original selling price than anything else.

HIgh end glass, often found on 6x6, 6x9 folders and as large format lenses, usually unit focusing: Heliar, Apo Lanthar

High end 35mm: Ultron f/2.0, Septon f/2.0

Medium range, Tessar-type designs available from 35mm to large format: Skopar, Color Skopar, pretty much anything with Skopar in the name, Dynarets, Dynarexes, etc. for Bessamatics & other 35mm nterchangeable
models. Note: The 50mm f/3.5 Skopar on the 2nd gen. Vito B (the one with the brightline viewfinder is outstanding in my opinion)

Lower range: Vaskar (MF & 35mm folders - decent tiplet), Lanthar, Color-Lanthar, etc. (rigid mount on viewfinder cameras, interchangeable lens cameras, available in front cell focusing and unit focusing models. (The f/4.5 Vaskar on my Perkeo II is wonderful!!!)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nice thing with this "hack" is that the aperture mechanism and the focus are still working.

I just removed the shutter blades.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
The nice thing with this "hack" is that the aperture mechanism and the focus are still working.

I just removed the shutter blades.

Always a plus when the f-stops still work! Usually front cell focusing lenses aren't as sharp as unit focusing models, but you can't knock the simplicilty of the design!

P.