Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Flektogon 2.8/35 DDR zebra version M42 (images added)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Flektogon 2.8/35 DDR zebra version M42 (images added) Reply with quote

I received this today after I bought it with a few other items( I will make some posts about those later).I was surprised by its feel I was expecting a solid little lens like the other CZJ lenses I have.To me it feels plasticky in comparison to the ALU lenses does anyone else think this.
I have not had good enough weather to see how it performs.Is it an easy lens to get into to clean some specks of fungi?
These are quick and nasty shots of the lens

Last edited by mo on Thu May 12, 2011 2:04 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the zebra version! There's usually something wrong with them, like many abused east German lenses, but iq is usually stunning. I've corrected the spelling mistake in the title to make searching easier Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hope there is nothing wrong with it...See how it performs tomorrow Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Moira - as I can see your collection is growing rapidly.

Wink Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira,

I think we are all looking forward to seeing your results with it.

The 35/2.8 is an earlier form of inverted telephoto design which explains the very large front element, compared to that the one on the later 35/2.4 is tiny. Generally it has been said that the zebra version tends to suffer more from helicoid wear making focussing somewhat sloppier than normal, but cleaning out the old grease and re-greasing it should go a long way to fix this issue, if present.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats more for this great lens!

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to seeing samples from this lens. I just bought the same version for 55ukp and when it arrived yesterday, the aperture blades were loose and one had come completely unseated so it's been returned to the seller.

So now I am looking for another Flektogon and seeing samples would be very useful to pick out which model to get!

P.S. Anyone got any experience of the Meyer Primagon 4.5/35?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Makro-Flek is a great lens, congrats to you!
I own it as a 1Q-version in great condition, clean glass, smooth focus, quick blades. It is one of my most favorite lenses, as it is damned sharp open and even sharper stopped down. You will need a helicoid to get contrast and to protect the large front element.
If your lens performs not so good, try to clean it.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone,as far as I can tell the focusing is very smooth no stiffness or looseness.It focuses down to 0,18 so is it indeed the "macro" version?
Rolf I only buy when I think it is a bargain (fits my budget)... Very Happy and thanks to this forum I pick my victims and research a little about the lens I want.... and I just keep looking until I spy something that I want and it falls into my budget range.
This was bought from a listing in a photography magazine.There were 2 cameras and 4 lenses, I just wanted the Flek.. Laughing I think I got it for a good price plus some extras that I did not really need.. Cool I also picked up a Auto Pentacon 50/1.8 but I can not get its aperture blades to stop down..but that is for another thread Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to some shots! AFAIK, all M42 Fleks focus that close by the way Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Looking forward to some shots! AFAIK, all M42 Fleks focus that close by the way Smile

Very Happy Thanks,never new that!

#2Wide open

#3 about F4 I think...I thought I would remember...Rolling Eyes

#4 In the larger size you can see the detail of the rose bud,veins etc.

#5 Flare test

#9 The red test!

Well what can I say I love this lens,the focusing is a little loose not as smooth as the other CZJs I have.The images are what I was hoping for.A keeper for sure... Very Happy I have done minimal PP on these just contrast and a little brightness.Most were shot in the shade about mid morning.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Just stunning!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moira,

This lens has automatic iris compensation for focussing distance where the focussing drive is linked to the iris mechanism.

When focussing closer, the same aperture size would effectively decrease as the lens is pushed further away from the film plane, so the iris diaphragm is opened up slightly to give the same effective aperture. This also means that when the aperture ring is set to f/2.8 at infinity, you rack out the focussing ring and you will see the aperture ring slowly moving, and reaches about f/4 when fully racked out.

I have both the zebra version and the first automatic "diamond grip" version and they both have this compensator, and the contemporary 135 Sonnars have them too. Zeiss probably had a chuckle when Japanese makers made a song and dance about having this same compensator system in their lenses, many years later.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This also means that when the aperture ring is set to f/2.8 at infinity, you rack out the focussing ring and you will see the aperture ring slowly moving, and reaches about f/4 when fully racked out.

Amazing,it took me a little while to see what you were talking about! Mine gets as far as the first half stop before the F4.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Told you it was a good lens Wink 8 and 9 are superb!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Told you it was a good lens Wink 8 and 9 are superb!

Very Happy ...any other good lenses?... Laughing