Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ross Resolux 5cm F3.5 Enlarger lens - Sony Nex-3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Ross Resolux 5cm F3.5 Enlarger lens - Sony Nex-3 Reply with quote

Made in UK right after ww2.
I take it from a KGB reproduction camera.

Last edited by Attila on Mon May 09, 2011 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems sharp for closeups, Attila.
How do you mount it on the NEX?

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp and contrast.
First one shows doughnuts bokeh characteristic to mirror lenses.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will try my 11cm Resolux (about12 blades) when I pick up a 39mm to 42mm adapter cheap.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has M39 mount I did use M39->M42 ring + M42 - Sony Nex adapter. It is a fine lens really all UK member must be proud about , first class lens.

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Astonishingly good that one! If you like such lenses, try a Taylor Hobson Ental II type enlarger lens (watch out for browning, as they used rare earth glass), very very sharp. Like that one Click here to see on Ebay (look on ebay.co.uk)

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great find Attila. That is one sharp baby and the colours are screaming.

patrickh

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like all but the 1st. The bokeh is a bit rough on that one.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like the first the most. most of the others have a deeper DoF, but with the first the flower stem emerges from the blur, becoming steadily more in focus until the flower, which is pretty sharp.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a technical reproduction lens not designed for bokeh. I agree with you both Martin and David. It has unique bokeh mater of taste to like or not. Personally I like smooth bokeh , if somebody looking for an extra one this is his lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This is a technical reproduction lens not designed for bokeh. I agree with you both Martin and David. It has unique bokeh mater of taste to like or not. Personally I like smooth bokeh , if somebody looking for an extra one this is his lens.

Very sharp, typically sharp for such a lens, but the bokeh in the first shot is ... well ... very "special". Wink

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:
Sharp and contrast.
First one shows doughnuts bokeh characteristic to mirror lenses.

The bokeh of Atilla's lens may give the impression of doughnuts, but it doesn't really look like a mirror lens.

Below is an example of a 'close-up' photo of a mulberry with a Russian 3M-5CA 500/8. In this case, close-up meant about 15 feet away. This is a somewhat muted example; truly bright highlights are much more impressive. I just didn't have one handy.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW - Attila

welcome to the astonishing world of enlarging lenses. They are almost the last frontier of truly great value for money on a quality basis. But, I notice those prices are rising too on felabay.... Sad Sad Sad

patrickh

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
BTW - Attila

welcome to the astonishing world of enlarging lenses. They are almost the last frontier of truly great value for money on a quality basis. But, I notice those prices are rising too on felabay.... Sad Sad Sad

patrickh

Laughing never mind rising price at least none of them go to waste bin.. and easier to sell them if you want to sell them to take a challenge with an another lens.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. Enlarger lenses used to be dirt cheap--a couple years ago, I picked up a Schneider Componon S 135/5.6 for $5.00. Now they are well over $100. It's too bad, too. I'm only glad that I acquired a decent selection before prices started really climbing. I just wish they'd stay down so others could enjoy them at a low price.