Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta/Sony A Mount -> Canon EOS Adapter
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Minolta/Sony A Mount -> Canon EOS Adapter Reply with quote

So I've been trying to find an adapter to use Minolta A mount lenses (my dad has a few old ones) on my Canon 7d, and I can't seem to find any. In my research (ie: wikipedia) i found that the EOS mount has a flange focal distance of 44mm, and the Minolta A mount has a flange focal distance of 44.5mm, so theoretically it should be possible? or are the flanges to close?

By that token, using a Minolta A mount lens on a Nikon body would be out of the question (while retaining IQ and infinity focus) right?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, the only other body that can use Minolta/Sony A mount lens is the NEX body. Don't even think there is any adapter for M4/3.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it because of flange focal distances? or just the fact that they're AF lenses?

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
is it because of flange focal distances? or just the fact that they're AF lenses?

Flange focal distance. I am not too sure about the detail but do remember the adapter will take up some space too.

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:

Besides the flangedistance, the fact that you try to use an AF-lens on another brands AF-camera will not make things much easyer.
Neither Canon- or Minoltalenses have an aperture ring and i am afraid that you can not make a thing that fits between lens and body that will make the one brand's electrical contact to communicate with the contacts of the other brand.

The positive thing is that even without Minolta-AF, the remaining amount of lenses that can be adapted to a Canon is huge.

If you still want to use the Minolta AF-lenses (and specially the first generation Minolta AF is absolutely worth using) you could look for something as a Sony Alfa.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
gearsNcogs wrote:

Besides the flangedistance, the fact that you try to use an AF-lens on another brands AF-camera will not make things much easyer.
Neither Canon- or Minoltalenses have an aperture ring and i am afraid that you can not make a thing that fits between lens and body that will make the one brand's electrical contact to communicate with the contacts of the other brand.

The positive thing is that even without Minolta-AF, the remaining amount of lenses that can be adapted to a Canon is huge.

If you still want to use the Minolta AF-lenses (and specially the first generation Minolta AF is absolutely worth using) you could look for something as a Sony Alfa.

Yeah, that's kinda what i figured it would be. Granted, i have no problem using lenses wide-open (which is what i was thinking), it makes sense that there isn't any adapter or anything -- its just not very practical.

Thanks for all the help everyone!