Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

EXA and Exakta EOS adapters
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:07 am    Post subject: EXA and Exakta EOS adapters Reply with quote

Hey Gang,

I can't quite figure this one out. It seems there were a few different mounts for both series of cameras and I am not sure what the real difference is.

The question is, can I use an Exakta to EOS adapter (that claims infinity focus) with EXA mount lenses?

Thanks
Darren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several EXA-EOS-adapters, but most of them do have a problem with "infinity". And they cause problems with fullframe bodies such as the 5D.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
There are several EXA-EOS-adapters, but most of them do have a problem with "infinity". And they cause problems with fullframe bodies such as the 5D.

The adaptor which allow infinity with most EXA lens will not work on FF bodies. Other thick adaptor may helps to avoid problems caused by mirror but you will lost infinity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Guys,

If I understand this correctly Exa and Exakta are the same mount BUT they will most likely not work with full frame cameras due to depth of the rear of lens protruding into camera house (when used with infinity focus adapters).

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Changes my plans for lens use...looks like they will only be functional with APS digital then.

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenw wrote:
Thank Guys,

If I understand this correctly Exa and Exakta are the same mount BUT they will most likely not work with full frame cameras due to depth of the rear of lens protruding into camera house (when used with infinity focus adapters).

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Changes my plans for lens use...looks like they will only be functional with APS digital then.

Darren

Yes. They protruding part will hit the camera housing and the mirror.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are willing to butcher a lens, you can easily sand down the EXA mount and make usage on a 5D possible. Wink
I do not have problems with doing that when we talk about Exa lenses. Chances that I will ever use those again on an Exa are pretty small.
I would not like to butcher a Nikon lens, though. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many Exakta mounts are merely screwed on and secured with a few grub screws - a conversion ring for them should be quite trivial.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that some new type of EXAKTA to EOS adapters have been released with a new locking mechanism... any experiance with this ones... do they reach infinity?

They "seem" to have corrected the final position of the lens in relation of the top of the DSLRs (in 5D/5Dii ones at least) Wink Those with exakta lens with the aperture plunger will know what I mean ....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keysersoze27 wrote:
I see that some new type of EXAKTA to EOS adapters have been released with a new locking mechanism... any experiance with this ones... do they reach infinity?

They "seem" to have corrected the final position of the lens in relation of the top of the DSLRs (in 5D/5Dii ones at least) Wink Those with exakta lens with the aperture plunger will know what I mean ....

The price is close to a PB EOS adaptor. I would like to see the feedback of this one too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see others working with these adapters and lenses as well.

I have two types of the Exa adapter including the "new" one shown. The lock mechanism works pretty well and is nothing more than a sliding latch that connects to the (stop?) pin on the lens. I prefer this new one as I am not found of friction fitting a lens. The friction fit adapter is okay, on one lens it is very tight on another not particularly. Both types that I have do focus to infinity.

As to making an adapter for FF EOS camera I may but may also consider just grinding away the exa mount and cementing the lens to the EOS adapter as I doubt it will ever see another use and really they are quite inexpensive when compared to M42 of the same lens.

As to the lens' position on the camera, nope it is not anywhere near where it should be on FF film EOS or my 40D (as I haven't purchased the 5DII yet) - the index marks are a full 90 degrees off on the left side of the camera.

Hoep that is helpful.
Darren

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenw,

Thanks for the info ... really helpful!!!!

Quote:
Both types that I have do focus to infinity.

If you don't mind what exakta lens you have that do reach infinity !!!

Both my Sonnar 4/135 leatherette and Tessar T 3.5/50 will not reach infinity ... I own the adapter with the copper stops and the 2 possible angle positions...

I personally consider Exakta versions been better build and having better quality control than their identical M42 versions .
For what I have seen ALL CZ Jena Exakta lenses I've seen or owned have the 1Q mark Wink This is not the case for the m42 versions !!!
(always talking about post-war lenses)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

darrenw wrote:
Glad to see others working with these adapters and lenses as well.

I have two types of the Exa adapter including the "new" one shown. The lock mechanism works pretty well and is nothing more than a sliding latch that connects to the (stop?) pin on the lens. I prefer this new one as I am not found of friction fitting a lens. The friction fit adapter is okay, on one lens it is very tight on another not particularly. Both types that I have do focus to infinity.

As to making an adapter for FF EOS camera I may but may also consider just grinding away the exa mount and cementing the lens to the EOS adapter as I doubt it will ever see another use and really they are quite inexpensive when compared to M42 of the same lens.

As to the lens' position on the camera, nope it is not anywhere near where it should be on FF film EOS or my 40D (as I haven't purchased the 5DII yet) - the index marks are a full 90 degrees off on the left side of the camera.

Hoep that is helpful.
Darren

I think it is not so convenient if the index mark is 90 degrees off to the left. Can you tell us which lens you tried? Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope nobody minds me digging this up again Smile

I am looking at the Big-Is Exakta-EOS adapter pictured above (I've already had a couple of his other adapters with no problems).

Does this adapter work with the Exakta mount lenses with the side aperture plunger on APS-C or does the plunger mechanism need removing...?

Thanks for any help.