Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carl Zeiss Tessar 4.5/135
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Carl Zeiss Tessar 4.5/135 Reply with quote

Who knows something about this (large format?) lens? Never saw any Tessar 135mm f/4.5

Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large format lens, right in a custom tube.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Custom tube? But not a 'homemade', it has nice finish and focus endpin.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex.g wrote:
Custom tube? But not a 'homemade', it has nice finish and focus endpin.

Perhaps factory made adapter who knows.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just checked my reference book, this lens was made during the DDR days, the smallest LF Tessars, order number 540509:003.26.

The mount can be home-made: some hobbyists can indeed produce very fine pieces. At least CZJ did not make something like that as far as I am aware of.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be Reflex-Korelle mount.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 135/4.5 Tessar was a very common lens for 9x12cm plate cameras in Compur shutter or in barrel (like yours) for 9x12 focal plane shutter cameras. Many were also sold in shutter and barrel for US-made 4x5 press and view cameras.

As the other guys said, the extra mount hardware on yours may be a custom job. It looks like pro work.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not homebuilt for 99% it has helicoid with still smooth grease. It should be factory. Tomorrow will make more photos.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More photos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it has been adapted for use as a process lens or for some custom application.

Last edited by jjphoto on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows Sad
But for sure this lens should find a new home

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Large format lens is most likely, professionally adapted with that mount and focusing helical to some other purpose. Perhaps this is some sort of Medium format mounting, or for a large format focal-plane shutter type camera, or its for some sort of process/industrial camera.

Zeiss Jena seems to have also sometimes used the "Tessar" designation for enlarging lenses, but it seems to me they would also have indicated the purpose as well, to distinguish a flat-field lens.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I got this lens from friend of mine to re-sell to him. This copies has don't have any tube on it. Size like an Industar pancake very, small.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might has been used as a process/repro lens. It say "Verkleinerung" on the barrel (meaning minification) and the tube may have been used to adjust that factor to the desired one. Just assumptions of course. Would it be used as an enlarging lens, consequently it would read "Vergrösserung" (magnification).

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it was used on some sort of repro camera.