Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Balda Baldamatic II
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Balda Baldamatic II Reply with quote

Balda was a well known brand, with advanced designs and great ergonomy in their cameras. This one was manufactured in 1959-1960. I'ts a 35mm film rangefinder with a Prontor LK shutter and a Selenium cell ligthmeter:

This one is the first version of the three that were manufactured. It sports a 45mm f/2.8 Color Isconar lens.

The rewinding mechanism pops up by pressing a lever on the bottom side of the camera:

THe film advance is also on the bottom side:

The light metering is shown inside the viewfinder.

To select a speed, there is selector wheel in the front side. The aperture is also shown in the viewfinder.

The back cover goes out to put the film...

... by pushing two buttons on the right side:

Made in Germany.

Now is time to put a film roll on it and looks what's the outcome Wink
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great tour! I'm always enchanted by these, haven't had good luck with the ones I've bought (Voigtlanders). The idea of such a small, dense and heavy camera with a good rf and meter is enticing. Hope to see sample pics soon!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
What a great tour! I'm always enchanted by these, haven't had good luck with the ones I've bought (Voigtlanders). The idea of such a small, dense and heavy camera with a good rf and meter is enticing. Hope to see sample pics soon!

Thanks for your comments, Nesster. Smile

I hope to be able to take it out tomorrow, if the weather comes right. I've seen a rain forecast... Sad

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look forward to the pictures from this great looking camera

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the seals ok?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
Are the seals ok?

Martin, It seems not to need any seal. Back cover fits deep into the guides, and the lock side goes deep inside de body. Some cameras of that time didn't need any seal.

We'll know for sure as soon as I shot the first roll through it. Smile

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing how it works out for you and what you get for pictures. What will you be using for film?

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schnauzer wrote:
I look forward to seeing how it works out for you and what you get for pictures. What will you be using for film?

For the first roll, a 24 shot Fuji Superia ISO 100.
Being a f/2.8 lens, should be fine in these sunny days.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jes for your new toy ! Look forward your shoots taken with this camera!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Congrats Jes for your new toy ! Look forward your shoots taken with this camera!

Thanks, Attila!.
It has come with me today to the office, but it's a dull, boring cloudy day, so I don't expect to shot too much. Until weather improves. Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
martinsmith99 wrote:
Are the seals ok?

Martin, It seems not to need any seal. Back cover fits deep into the guides, and the lock side goes deep inside de body. Some cameras of that time didn't need any seal.

We'll know for sure as soon as I shot the first roll through it. Smile

Regards.
Jes.

I have had a few cameras like that, but I always put seals in anyway as I'm never sure of how good the design is. Laughing

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:

I have had a few cameras like that, but I always put seals in anyway as I'm never sure of how good the design is. Laughing

Good approach. Shouldn't be too difficult to add some, if necessary. Wink

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Attila wrote:

Thanks, Attila!.
It has come with me today to the office, but it's a dull, boring cloudy day, so I don't expect to shot too much. Until weather improves. Wink

Regards.
Jes.

Small guy you can bring it to work every day Wink Here we have also quiet changeable weather .

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute camera, Jes, looks about the size of my Kodak Signet 35. Looking
forward to those pix! Smile

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
Cute camera, Jes, looks about the size of my Kodak Signet 35. Looking
forward to those pix! Smile

Great seeing you are okay, Bill.

Yes, it's similar size than the Signette... Today (as expected) was a rainy dull day, so no much progress. Maybe tomorrow...

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these. Very Happy Looks like a toy cartoon camera to me.
I have one that is inoperable. Just a shelf queen for now.
Looking forward to your samples Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Love these. Very Happy Looks like a toy cartoon camera to me.
I have one that is inoperable. Just a shelf queen for now.
Looking forward to your samples Jes.

Mine needs an urgent CLA, but it's operable. It has raised so much expectation that I'm going to throw a roll prior the cleanup, just to see how it can perform. Really soon, today is sunny Smile

Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Jes.

The isconar is a single triplet or a tessar design? Perhaps five (very difficult because AFAIK only the japanese used that schame in RF F/2,8 normals)?

Isco gottingen is good, isn't it?

Rino

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
Congrats Jes.

The isconar is a single triplet or a tessar design? Perhaps five (very difficult because AFAIK only the japanese used that schame in RF F/2,8 normals)?

Isco gottingen is good, isn't it?

Rino

Hi Rino,
I'm sorry but I don't have any info on the lens yet.
Isco Gottingem was setup in 1936 and it's still in operations, as a division of Schneider-Kreuznach (a well known lens manufacturer). To me they are quite good, their lenses are populating the Samsung cameras among others.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that.

http://mars.bellstek.net/lens/361/00.htm

Rino.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
I found that.

http://mars.bellstek.net/lens/361/00.htm

Rino.

Thanks, Rino. The lens is not exactly the same, but I expect the formulae being the same, so we probably are in front of a triplet.

Yesterday I was able to finish the 24 shot and the roll is alreay in the lab. I'll get it back developped at lunch time.

Regards.
Jes.