Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Panning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Panning Reply with quote

Wow... I am out of practice.

Went for some Rope practice today, and made a ropeswing for my daughter to play on. Naturally, I was after some shots of it. Oops... I forgot how hard it is to Manually focus and Pan at the same time, AF has made me very lazy.

So, apart from practice, any suggestions? I used to be rather good at it, and am more than a bit peeved that I didn't really get a single keeper today out of the panning shots.

I'll post some of the least FUBAR'd shots afterwards.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With predictable movement such as a swing (or vehicles on a road/track) the best thing is to pre-focus on the spot you're going to shoot at then pan with the subject & snap when it's in focus.

This works most of the time for me, even using a 500mm mirror lens hand-held at motorbike racing events. If they come to the wrong side of the track they've moved out of the minuscule DOF so I've only got soft focus shots of some spectacular tumbles Sad