Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pentacon 4 200 - "fog" issue - need advise
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:43 pm    Post subject: Pentacon 4 200 - "fog" issue - need advise Reply with quote

Guys,

need some advise. Picked up a manual lens yesterday and noticed some "fog" on the pictures when I choose high aperture (11, 16, 22). Fully open until 8 the pictures are pretty well.

Lenses are clean and have no fungus etc.

Any comment or advise welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Joerg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pentacon 4 200 - "fog" issue - need advise Reply with quote

kheldour wrote:
Guys,

need some advise. Picked up a manual lens yesterday and noticed some "fog" on the pictures when I choose high aperture (11, 16, 22). Fully open until 8 the pictures are pretty well.

Lenses are clean and have no fungus etc.

Any comment or advise welcome.

Many thanks in advance

Joerg

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First. Wellcome. Thanks for share your pic and ask to us your question.

If you can, share pics of the lens form the rear and closed at the problematic apertures.

A pair of pics taken to iluminated subkect like the pic posted, with the lens closed at the F/11, 16 and 22 can be useful too.

Anyways, it seems to be an internal reflections from the MC.

Rino.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Rino about the internal reflections. I had a 200 lens with the same problem at small apertures. A long hood (an A4 card rolled into a tube) will probably improve things but that would be impractical for everyday use.

My hunch is that the black covering on the edges of the lens elements has been removed and needs renewing. If you can post a picture of the lens itself, to see what model it is, we can show you how to dismantle and reassemble it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!!

Try it with a lens hood.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that it looks like an internal reflection problem. You see this a lot with very old lenses that have many glass to air surfaces like the Ross Homocentric.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a lenshood Sad

For shooting the aperture blades, I already took out glass elements. Wink
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody.

I will writeup an intro later tonight.

Joerg

Rear side f22

Front view f22

Rear side f8

Front view f8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The aperture looks to be in great condition with no oil. I just bought the exact same model of this lens, I'll try mine and see if it exhibits the same issues.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same model, had no problems like that. But I did not use the smaller apertures sofar Laughing .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimal performance usually come around at F8 with tele lenses , so never mind if not good at higher apertures.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the lens shade is perhaps the only way to reduce the reflections.

But it's nothig to do when you have a brightness background or the light is into the image.

Do you use filter over the lens? Yes? Well, try to take a pic without it.

Without any filter and with the lens shade, the best way to avoid reflections

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention I have this lens and it will hold its own against my sharpest modern lenses. It's good centre sharpness wide open and I have had no flare issues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say that light is entering mount, is what happened to me with a Pentacon 135-2.8. Look at the locking ring, as these lenses came to various mountings, these are fixed with screws and light can enter there.
This type of problem occurs with diaphragms closed. Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another evidence is to occur in the same sector of the frame. If so, no doubt the light entering side.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ther fog has a blue/purple cast. Did it occur in the mount flaw?

Rino

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,

thanks for the advise.

I have checked the lenses, aperture blades and the lens body itself again and couldn't find anything.

Then I did some more test photos and found some interesting outcome.
Shouting from INSIDE the building into outside didn't gave me a fog at all.

Shouting OUTSIDE and the fog was back again. Then I tried a longer lens hood - no effect. Even with almost 5" lens hood the flare/fog was still there and still at the same level.

Both pictures taken at f1:22

INSIDE to outside picture:

Outside picture:

Both at f1:22

p.s. How do I link pictures into the thread? What do I do wrong?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kheldour wrote:
Hi folks,

thanks for the advise.

I have checked the lenses, aperture blades and the lens body itself again and couldn't find anything.

Then I did some more test photos and found some interesting outcome.
Shouting from INSIDE the building into outside didn't gave me a fog at all.

Shouting OUTSIDE and the fog was back again. Then I tried a longer lens hood - no effect. Even with almost 5" lens hood the flare/fog was still there and still at the same level.

Both pictures taken at f1:22

INSIDE to outside picture:
[img]http://gallery.me.com/kheldour/100406/_IGP5010/web.jpg?ver=13040928360001[/img]

Outside picture:
[img]http://gallery.me.com/kheldour/100406/_IGP5016/web.jpg?ver=13041021990001[/img]

Both at f1:22

Again, wrapped around the lens with a black cloth and take a picture outside. If you have more fog, is that light entering one side.

The link of the photos do not work.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to do with the way that site generates the links to the pics, they aren't static URLs.

Here are your pics, I uploaded them here:

I'm afraid I haven't got a clue what's wrong with your lens...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kheldour wrote:
Hi folks,

thanks for the advise.

Did you try my suggestion? Blacken the edges of the glass elements with a marker pen.

Quote:
Now someone has quoted your message you should be able to post pictures using the IMG tags but, as Ian said, there is something unusual with your URLs. Maybe it's the missing "www". Try using the "Upload picture" button, send your picture and then click on the "standard" link below it when it is displayed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

Again, wrapped around the lens with a black cloth and take a picture outside. If you have more fog, is that light entering one side.

Following your advise I nailed the error down to a faulty M42-PK-Adapter.
The M42-Adpater on the lens side doesn't cover the PK-Adapter enough.

Therefore a small opening is still there, where light breaches into the mirror house of the camera.

Simple as that Sad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very similar to what happened to me.
Good luck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd how your links don't work. I tried editing but still no joy so I have linked them to the images hosted on the forum.

I suggest another image host or upload them here as they don't work for me either.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for the guesses and advises.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very glad you found the root of your problem.

My copy of this lens arrived today and I shot some quick test pics, I like the IQ a lot, no PP at all on these shots, I think the sharpness and contrast are excellent, the lens handles very nicely too, aperture is snappy even though my copy is quite battered.

I really love the colours this lens produces, so vivid.