Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

FOMA R09 experience
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: FOMA R09 experience Reply with quote

I bought an R09 developer made by FOMA is anybody use it ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Attila. As far as I know is a Rodinal clone (the new Agfa is now calling the R. just R09 Smile). It's one of the long-lived formulas on the market. Gives good acutance and sharpness at the expense of some graininess. Greater dilutions somewhat tame the problem (if there is one Smile). Used at dilutions over 1:100 in stand development gives high compensating effect (I never tried this myself). I used the R. (either when it was still called R. and then with the new name R09) with Fp4+ and Delta 100 and what I can say is that I had mixed results. Not fault of the product itself, I think the variations from one roll to another was due to my rather poor measurement of the small quantities of product needed to make working solutions. In the meantime I got myself a medical syringe for a more precise measurement. I'll certainly giving it another shot (no pun intended Smile), sooner or later.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Marty!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome Smile.

Cheers, M.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed Rodinal, so i use it.

from my experience, the best dilution i found is 1+25, because it give the better contrats to the negative, otherwise 1+50 is ok if you like a neutral negative renditon

some people say, that Rodinal is not intended , due to the fact that it gives a huge amount of grain with some films. To that all i can say that's from my tests, it depends of the agitation method; i had pushed films up to 1600 and above with smooth grain.

do tests and enjoy Cool

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used this developer some time ago. It was supposed to work just like Rodinal but with lower dilutions: 1:40 instead of 1:50, 1:80 instead of 1:100 and so on. In my sample the liquid was too much concentrated, so I had to use someting like 1:130 instead of 1:80 (i.e. more dilution than Rodinal). Of course I spoiled several films until I noticed this. Now I use "Agfa Rodinal" which behaves exactly as the original Rodinal.

I have also found lately some QC. problems with Foma films. It is a pity because Foma 100 and 200 are great films, IMO.

Javier

Last edited by wupdigoj on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Javier!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's weird, because it is the same developer, with same dilution times than Rodinal. It's just rebadged, and from my experience so far i had no troubles whatsoever, especially with Foma film that i use much : )

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hexi wrote:
It's weird, because it is the same developer, with same dilution times than Rodinal. It's just rebadged, and from my experience so far i had no troubles whatsoever, especially with Foma film that i use much : )

I know. The Foma R09 I used was an older one. The new one uses the same developing dilutions as Rodinal. I think F. R09 was supposed to be the "original" Rodinal recipe.

I think that my sample was defective, too much concentrate. Once adjusted the dilution, the results were fine. Of course I suppose most of the batches must be correct.

The issues I have found with Foma films are independent of the developer, and had appeared mainly in Foma 200, 120 format : lots of tiny black dots in the film, which will apper in the copies. At first I thought it to be something related with my technique, but I finally isolated it as a film defect.

Javier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know guys, thank you. I did use Foma 100 only, with FOMA LQR developer until now. I was very happy with this combo.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why switch? fomapan and lqn/lqr gives great results. plus that they're cheap!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did bought Agfa APX 100 in bulk (40) rolls and didn't find any clear instructions how can I use Foma developers with Agfa.

So I bought Rodinal . I did try a roll with Foma LQR same dillution , time etc than with Foma. It was fine. Next roll will be develop in Rodinal.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fomadon R09 is a good developer, need to order more. I've posted this
before, but this is my result using Legacy Pro 400:

With 100 film, should be even better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice gray scale right, with ISO 100 I think it will be perfect.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rodinal is my usual developer. I use at 1:50 and only agitate slightly once per minute.

I have used with HP5 at box speed, but I tend to pull it a stop or shoot slower films. Grain is acceptable and contrast is fairly low. I can always increase it afterwards if I need better contrast.

This one had harsh flash which I think has been tamed quite effectively:

Chinon_FP4_030 by martinsmith99, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long did you develop it ? I like result very much.

Yesterday I did use first time R09 1:50 dilution 20C 18 min it was too long, pictures are came out pretty dark. Factory brochure said 1:50 dilution 17min. I had a film from 'unknown' source I decide it to develop a bit longer.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
How long did you develop it ? I like result very much.

Yesterday I did use first time R09 1:50 dilution 20C 18 min it was too long, pictures are came out pretty dark. Factory brochure said 1:50 dilution 17min. I had a film from 'unknown' source I decide it to develop a bit longer.

Thanks

Taken with Chinon CE3 Memotron with Carl Zeiss Jena MC Sonnar 135mm lens, Ilford FP4+ shot at 80iso, developed in 1:50 Rodinal for 10:30 mins, constant inversions for 1st 30 seconds then 2 inversion every minute.