Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Fuji X100 - Field Comparisons ISO800 to ISO12800
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject: Fuji X100 - Field Comparisons ISO800 to ISO12800 Reply with quote

I just got back from a walk into the woods. I found a dark place where I
hoped that I could show the differences in ISOs. I picked out the fir tree
cone and the salal leaf to show differences, and to show sharp edges and
areas of solid color.

The camera was at default mode, with no internal sharpening or noise
algorithms. Simply "straight shots" as hand-held. So these should at least
a rudimentary comparison of the images in real-world situations.

ISO100 to ISO800 did not show me any discernible differences, so I just
started with ISO800 and then up to ISO12800.

Personally, I can see noise developing at 6400 and 12800, but it
doesn't seem too bad.

Anyway, I hope these show at least SOME of the differences. I am not a
very good tester, but these were the best non-scientific shots I could do. Confused

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say it certainly passed the test!

For your own interest, you should also make a night series or one where the blue channel is dominating. Color noise behaves differently depending on dominant color channel. This way, you'll be able to define your personal preference for type of setting/light and what is max ISO you want to use if using for print (downsized to web you get rid of a lot of noise so less picky standards are allowed).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
I would say it certainly passed the test!

For your own interest, you should also make a night series or one where the blue channel is dominating. Color noise behaves differently depending on dominant color channel. This way, you'll be able to define your personal preference for type of setting/light and what is max ISO you want to use if using for print (downsized to web you get rid of a lot of noise so less picky standards are allowed).

The "blue channel dominating"...so, a blue sky Esox? Or maybe some of the
clear blue-green pools on the river? Something like that?

And sure...I'll try a series at night.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my D3 I was blown away by the high ISO. It took me quite a while to learn to handle the high ISO, and find my personal preferences, where I set my new bookmark for "don't go beyond this ISO if you want to make large prints".

No need to shoot Fuji X100 ISO tests for me (I use D3 and D3S regularly in low light) but I found it useful to learn the high ISO handling personally, and I think you will appreciate as well. There is a whole new world out there to discover, people using flash or never shooting above ISO 800 are missing out on a lot of opportunities.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Esox lucius wrote:
When I first got my D3 I was blown away by the high ISO. It took me quite a while to learn to handle the high ISO, and find my personal preferences, where I set my new bookmark for "don't go beyond this ISO if you want to make large prints".

No need to shoot Fuji X100 ISO tests for me (I use D3 and D3S regularly in low light) but I found it useful to learn the high ISO handling personally, and I think you will appreciate as well. There is a whole new world out there to discover, people using flash or never shooting above ISO 800 are missing out on a lot of opportunities.

I fully appreciate your views, and your suggestions. THANK YOU very
much. I too, like to make the occasional large print, and so will definitely
set my own bookmark for "don't go beyond this ISO for large prints."