Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Entering the Nikon land for the first time
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:31 pm    Post subject: Entering the Nikon land for the first time Reply with quote

Hey fellow mf users, I think I'm going to separate my lenses in two sections, Still Photography and video/cinema.
I just bought a M42 Carl Zeiss ZS 50/1.4 for the most serious video/cinema work, but I couldn't imagine that this Zeiss lens focuses on the Nikon side, so I'll make a lens set based on that. It must be Nikon or Pentax, but I think I prefer Nikon, and I can't afford other Zeiss ZS lenses right now, so I'll have to stick with Nikon, just to have lenses that focuses on the same direction (this is important for video).

right now I really want a good 35mm and a good 85/100mm lens. It can be MF or AF (no G)

I have 3 35mm lenses right now... a Minolta 35/1.8 (soft wide open), a Minolta 35/2.8 (just a bit soft wide open but has a nice character) and a Auto Chinon 35/2.8 (not as good as the Minoltas, but pretty decent)

The 35mm can be f/2 or f/2.8... I just want a lens that is sharp wide open, with low aberrations... the same thing with the 85/100mm lens.

hope you can help me...
thanks!

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget ? That is really matter for best suggestions.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

No more than U$300,00 for the 35mm and no more than U$400,00 for the 85/100mm. But it will all depend if I can sell some of my lenses...
thanks!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find it, I highly recommend the Mir 24n. Sharp at f/2 and less than $200

http://forum.mflenses.com/arsenal-mc-mir-24-n-2-35-nikon-f-t38128.html

It turns the same way as other nikons but the focus range on it is very long (a longer turn of the focus than the nikons) So its not the easiest to focus on the fly, but it results in more precise focusing for steady shots.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this lens in M42 mount but my sample performed very badly wide open and even at f/2.8. Maybe I'll have to try another sample, I've heard lots of good things about this lens

Geoff C. Bassett wrote:
If you can find it, I highly recommend the Mir 24n. Sharp at f/2 and less than $200

It turns the same way as other nikons but the focus range on it is very long (a longer turn of the focus than the nikons) So its not the easiest to focus on the fly, but it results in more precise focusing for steady shots.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff C. Bassett wrote:

I got mine for 20$. Mine is a KMZ made M42. One of the sharpest lenses I own.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the M42 version focuses on the nikon way?
I'll start searching...

thanks!

Joosep wrote:
Geoff C. Bassett wrote:

I got mine for 20$. Mine is a KMZ made M42. One of the sharpest lenses I own.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want a fast wide-angle that's sharp already wide-open and costs less than $300? Don't we all? Laughing

Seriously: You're using it for video (so sensor does not use full 35mm frame coverage), you want to use it wide open with good results, it has to be Nikon and it can't be G-series (must have aperture ring), and above all - it should cost less than $300

Recommendations

A) Nikkor 35/2D AF
AF lens so manual focus feel is likely so bad you can't use it for video, but the technical quality is 4 to 5 stars even when used at f/2 or f/2.8.

B) Nikkor 35/2F (Ai converted)
This should be all you expect, provided you find a sample that has not dried out lube.

C) Nikkor 35/2.8 Ai
Very low on distortion, no CA and center sharpness wide open (with full-frame DSLR) is already very good. Possibly 1st pick, because they can be found for peanuts on eBay.

D) Nikkor 35/2 Ai-S
Center sharpness wide open not as good as the previous, but when used at f/2.8 better IQ than A, B and C

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivan Lee wrote:
Attila wrote:
No more than U$300,00 for the 35mm and no more than U$400,00 for the 85/100mm. But it will all depend if I can sell some of my lenses...
thanks!

Since I switched to Nikon some years ago, and discovered that most lenses that weren't specifically made to fit Nikons can't be adapted, I tried to learn which Nikon lenses would be suitable and affordable.

I'm sure others may have more suggestions, but here are mine:

85mm
Nikkor AF 85/1.8D: works very well. It's not a G, so it does have an aperture ring. However, since it's a screw-drive, the AF won't work on a lot of the cheaper Nikon bodies, and the MF doesn't work nearly as well as an MF lens.
85/1.8 C Nikkor: For manual focus, the very old 85/1.8 C (pre-AI) is very nice, but would have to be converted to work with a modern Nikon.
85/2 Ai, Ais Nikkor: Its replacement, the 85/2 seems to lack contrast, at least I haven't been impressed with copies I've seen.
85/1.4 Samyang: If you want to shoot in low light or wide open all the time, a Samyang 85/1.4 can be had brand new for under $300 (I paid $245 brand new for mine), and it even focuses in the same direction as Nikon. While it's not quite as nice stopped down beyond f/4 as the Nikon 85/1.8, it is still quite good; from f/2.8 to f/1.4, it's in the same class with the best 85s.

100-105mm
If it were my money, I'd move up to 100mm.
105/2.5 Ai or Ais Nikkor: This is an absolute classic. They are excellent, common as sand, much smaller and lighter than any 85/1.4, and a very usable sample can be purchased for a fraction of your budget, while a superb sample would take most of your budget. A Leica or Zeiss might be considered better by some, but the 105/2.5 is so good, it really doesn't matter.

35mm
35/2 Ais Nikkor: This is excellent and probably your best bet. A good copy can be had well within your budget. The Ai version isn't quite as good--apparently sharpness and color are comparable, but the Ais is a little more flare resistant.

Cheap Nikon
For dirt cheap, meaning you could get both lenses for less than the budget for the 35mm--perhaps much less--you could consider the Nikon Series E lenses.
35/2.5: works well and gives good images, but lacks multicoating and flare/ghosting can be a problem shooting into bright light.
100/2.8: It's very nearly as sharp as the 105/2.5, but even smaller and lighter. This lens is the hot ticket if you spend a lot of time carrying your equipment and weight is important. It's about the size and weight of a 50mm.

Edited to improve organization: stream of thought can be so confusing to someone else.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Ais 35/2 and was quite happy with it. Will be getting my second copy in the mail very soon.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 35mm f1.4 very sharp from f2.
Nikon 85mm f1.8 pre-AI (black) sharp even at wide open.
Nikon 105mm f2.5 AIS one of the best lens in it's focal length.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Nikon 35mm f1.4 very sharp from f2.

You're absolutely right, Atilla. I just don't think I've seen a decent one for less than $300 in several years.