Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta XE-7
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Minolta XE-7 Reply with quote

Minolta XE-7, MD 35-70mm f/3.5 by Nesster, on Flickr

The XE-7 is a beauty, well thought out touches and silky smooth.

Unfortunately mine has a problem: the mirror stays up intermittently. Fairly constant on Auto, very occasional on Manual. It is instantly cleared when I put the camera on X or B for a moment. I've put in fresh batteries. Any thoughts as to what causes this?

And here's a family portrait of 4/6ths of our Minoltas - missing are the 2MP digital that was my first digital and first Minolta, and daughter's yellow waterproof one.

Minolta film family by Nesster, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only my first XE-1 had that problem when brand new. After servicing under garantee it never happened again. Sorry, no idea what to do about it.
Is XE-7 the same camera as the XE-5 in Europe?
Very nice camera!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think XE-1 = XE-7, and XE-5 is XE-5... I have a hard time with Minolta model names.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same trouble on my Canon F1. The problem was that the foam rubber that the mirror contacted at the top of its travel was deteriorating and over time a layer of "gunge" had built up on the front edge of the mirror creating a kind of short-term impact adhesive. I cleaned the dirt off the mirror (a strip about 1/10 of an inch or 3mm wide) and since then I've kept it clean and the problem's not come back. Easier than spending money on servicing a camera I now rarely use.

Not sure if the Minolta has a similar arrangement, but it might be worth taking a look.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If XE-7 = XE-1 the better - it is my all time favorite camera.

The mirror buffer might be the problem, but IMO it is weird, when that can be corrected by turning the shutter to X.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the mirror up is minolta's signal that you need new batteries. In this case, some bit of the circuit is acting up... today for instance, the mirror hasn't hung up once.

And yes, the XE is a fantastic camera, the smoothest film rewind I've ever experienced.