Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What lighting did you use - Klypen
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: What lighting did you use - Klypen Reply with quote

What lighting did you use in the first 2 photos?

http://forum.mflenses.com/samyang-1-4-85-t37888.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thank you for the interest and plase excuse my poor english.
Hope this can help:

- Tripod and remote control due to long shutterspeeds and use of both hands.
- A dark room.
- Black clothing for background (distance 50-100cm) and underneath the subject.
- A "daylightlamp"- two bulbs: Sanolux F15w/T8. For the first pic of the Leonar this was
placed on my right side directed in the opposite direction of the subject and with a diffusor screen in front of it.
Then used a small reflector and reflected this light on to the subject. This was not enough light to lit up the subject
evenly, so I used a small torch with my left hand to lit up the more shadowed areas (front of lens).

The same technique for the second pic, but with the diffused daylightlamp behind the subject.
Very short it is a very small amount of reflected light that is "painted" on the subject, and therfore also
shutterspeed can be long. For the little torch I rolled som sheets of paper over it and made a very small gap to
achieve a small and centered beam, the goal is to light up the subject and nothing else around.
I found that some movement of both the reflected light and the torchlight helped a lot to get
a pleasent result.

Trial & error to find the right shutterspeed.
Long exposure noisered. in camera.

Shooting RAW helps alot with the WB. I did use the clone stamp tool to remove a few visible spots of
the clothing around the subject in PP, together with "normal" adjustments of sharpness, contrast
and color.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great write up, now I have a good starting point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Very Happy