Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

"Pen-F" 2.8/25 and 1.4/40 Geisha hunting in Kyoto
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: "Pen-F" 2.8/25 and 1.4/40 Geisha hunting in Kyoto Reply with quote

was in Kyoto the other day with "Pen-F" 2.8/25mm and 1.4/40 lenses, more precisely with G.Zuiko Auto-W f2.8 25mm and G.Zuiko Auto-S f1.4 40mm and my NEX5N

When I arrived in the Gion area famous for it's Geishas during early evening I ran into a very nice fellow photographer from Taiwan. He was waiting in one corner where he knew that Geishas are most likely to be spotted. The "Geishas", actually Maikos and Geikos, are quite difficult to take photos of. If they ever appear on the street they hush by very swiftly , that it was getting dark didn't help, but he was rather well armored Wink

1:

( taken with the f1.4/40 )

two FF camera, the new Nikon 800 and a Sony A 900 with a f2.8 70-200 IS lens!
when he saw my NEX5N he said he carried one in his backbag too which was full with photographic gear and must have weighed another 10 kg. This guy is a real relief for gearheads like us: I asked him how much of camera gear he totally carried for his Japan trip, his answer was about 30 kg!!!

on the other hand, trying to come up with anything usable with my set up, as compared to his, was a bit intimating.
You can see the beautiful photos he took here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/catmanc/sets/72157629488508790/

My results weren't all that great, here my better efforts:

2, 3 and 4 taken with the f2.8/25
2:

3:

4:

the rest taken with the 1.4/40
5:

6:

7:

wide open shots
8: a shop window in Gion selling traditional sweets:

9: typical alley in the Gion area

best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those geisha shots were well worth the wait Andreas

patrickh

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice Andreas!

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Cool

I can't stop thinking about the other photographer with 2 FF cams.
I guess he is travelling alone, married to his gear, lenses are his babies, carrying 10kg all day long for the whole vacation.
and may need another vacation after this vacation to rest his arms and legs.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andreas i think you are too modest, the results are very good street shots, esp the one of the two geisha by the bikes, that one is great.

tbh, the reason i sold my FF gear is because i didnt ever want to look like that guy! Laughing
tony

Last edited by rbelyell on Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Those geisha shots were well worth the wait Andreas

patrickh

kds315* wrote:
Very nice Andreas!

thank you very much Patrick and Klaus for viewing and commenting, makes me happy Smile

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hoanpham wrote:
Very cool Cool

I can't stop thinking about the other photographer with 2 FF cams.
I guess he is travelling alone, married to his gear, lenses are his babies, carrying 10kg all day long for the whole vacation.
and may need another vacation after this vacation to rest his arms and legs.

haha, actually there was a girl friend, or his wife? with him. She must love him very much, anyway she was completely resigned to wait until he was done taking his photos, and even helped carrying some gear!

As much as I gathered he was on a trip for just one week to Japan, and that it was not his first trip, and also not the first time he was waiting at this corner to catch some Geishas. He is still a young man, he can carry all that, specially with such a great companion even helping him Smile

best greetings and regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
andreas i think you are too modest, the results are very good street shots, esp the one of the two geisha by the bikes, that one is great.

tbh, the reason i sold my FF gear is because i didnt ever want to ook like that guy! Laughing
tony

Tony to tell you the truth, even though I don't consider them anything special, I am rather pleased with the results..because it wasn't easy. These women move so very swiftly! Those taken with the f1.4/40 are not very sharp not only because of open apertures but those showing Geishas also because there was of panning involved.

haha, I am also VERY HAPPY that the gear I take to the roads every day is very lightweight. However when I make a major move, e.g. take a flight..I must admit that the weight of my total luggage also is nearing 30 kg and most of it is photographic gear Embarassed

best regards,
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
actually there was a girl friend, or his wife? with him. She must love him very much, anyway she was completely resigned to wait until he was done taking his photos, and even helped carrying some gear!

She must be the nanny - paid to watch the children.
No girl friend nor wife can be like that ! Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote taken form another thread, but it fits in here:
hoanpham wrote:
In your other set of the geishas, the 40/1.4 seems soft, or maybe montion blur...

( thread it was taken from: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-k-f2-8-30mm-in-osaka-and-kyoto-t49579.html )

Hoan I must defend the lens.
It's purely my fault why the lens appears that soft here, mostly because of motion blur, the shots of the Geishas actually involved slight panning.

for a f1.4/40 this lens is quite sharp even wide open.
even though these samples also may not show the full potential, please see these wide open samples:

best greetings,
Andreas