Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

spiratone minitel 500mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 pm    Post subject: spiratone minitel 500mm Reply with quote

i'm not sure if these are the best way to show off what i think is a very underrated lens, as all shots were taken on a very dull day, through sliding glass doors that obviously need to be cleaned from a very rough winter, but here goes, cause i like 'em! taken with 5d iso 800, lens only has F8:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performance is quiet good for a mirror lens. I had consider buy this mirror lens but I give up as it is too heavy for me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure if the focus is exact, but I like the background. I have always liked this rustic look in pictures, so that is what I like about the pics. I don't know if that is really called bokeh but whatever it is called, it is nice.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Number 3 looks sharp, but these lenses need to be used on sunny days only!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graham is correct, because of the f8 constant aperture sun is vital to good pix with this lens. my shutter speed was 1/100! and it really should be at least 1/250-300. thats also probably why the focus apoears off--camera shake, bird movement all effect clarity at 1/100 shutter speed! theyre really not bad considering the SS and the dirty window and theyre hand held!

calvin, this lens really is not heavy at all for a 500mm. it is actually smaller than other mirror lenses of same FL, hence the name minitel.

yes newton, i think you are correct, the background is especially smooth for a mirror lens as they have notoriously crazy bokeh.

Last edited by rbelyell on Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:06 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
The performance is quiet good for a mirror lens. I had consider buy this mirror lens but I give up as it is too heavy for me.

There is another big heavy Spiratone 500 mirror, but this one is the tiny Mini-tel 500.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

There is another big heavy Spiratone 500 mirror, but this one is the tiny Mini-tel 500.

I see. It should be this one?
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to be really good to handle these super telephotos. I am impressed by people who shoot with these and can get decent photos; there are so many more variables that affect IQ, so the challenge is my big attraction, as I experienced last night with low-light nighttime photography with a super tele, not really designed for nighttime.

You caught the feathers very well. My test for sharpness is my parrot. I call it Newton's parrot test for sharpness and color and I am patenting that. You will see this posted all over the world, but remember it is MINE! Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
visualopsins wrote:
calvin83 wrote:

I see. It should be this one?
Click here to see on Ebay

Yes that is the one. Yikes US$538.20?!!! Mine cost 1/10 as much (11/2008), with original hood, filters, & caps.

Here's the Ultratel 500 Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newton wrote:
You have to be really good to handle these super telephotos. I am impressed by people who shoot with these and can get decent photos;

here are some mirror samples with Oly OM mirror
http://forum.mflenses.com/testing-my-lenses-part-12-olympus-500mm-8-reflex-t31133,highlight,%2Btesting+%2Blenses.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin yes that is the one i have,b ut dont be scared as that fellows price is absurd! i paid $60 for mine. just keep an eye out and you can get a deal.

newton, youre hysterical! perhaps you can loan your parrot out to members for testing new lenses! Surprised

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:

I have such an Ultratel with the Sigma brand. It is very huge in volume(twice the volume of my Sigma 8/600 mirror) but it lacks any form of mass and it is quite a challenge to keep it stabilized.
With a shoulderstock and a stabilized sensor however it can produce good images

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toeteraar wrote:
visualopsins wrote:

I have such an Ultratel with the Sigma brand. It is very huge in volume(twice the volume of my Sigma 8/600 mirror) but it lacks any form of mass and it is quite a challenge to keep it stabilized.
With a shoulderstock and a stabilized sensor however it can produce good images

Shocked I have this Sigma lens too! I did not realize it is the same as the big Spiratone. Thank you! Now I see Spiratone in auction is same as Sigma, same case too.

Nice results!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you coming along with your 500 mm?