Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar Series 1 85/1.4 VS Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Vivitar Series 1 85/1.4 VS Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Reply with quote

I've wanted a nice, fast, 85mm lens for a while now, so i started to do some research.
The Vivitar is an MF lens, while the Sigma is an AF lens. I was only able to find Big Dawg's sample pictures with the search function, and his quick samples were amazing, but I was wondering if other people had similar experiences with the lens? What is the difference in the image quality of these two lenses?
I personally don't care about AF, so purely speaking of IQ and build quality, which is the better lens?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This MF lens has many names: Vivitar/Samyang/Polar/Rokinon 85/1.4.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vivitar Series 1 85/1.4 VS Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
I personally don't care about AF, so purely speaking of IQ and build quality, which is the better lens?

The Contax 85/1.4, imo. Smile The Samyang has more smooth bokeh though.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there really a difference between the various versions of the Vivitar/Contax/Samyang/Rokinon?

Is there a better 85/1.4 lens available/adaptable for Canon in the same price range?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
Is there really a difference between the various versions of the Vivitar/Contax/Samyang/Rokinon?

Is there a better 85/1.4 lens available/adaptable for Canon in the same price range?

No and no.

By the way, I really like the way the latest Sigmas render images...almost Zeiss like Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:

By the way, I really like the way the latest Sigmas render images...almost Zeiss like Shocked

From what i've seen, i like it too. at this point, i'm trying to figure out if its worth the price, or if i should stick with the Vivitar. what are your thoughts?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gearsNcogs wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

From what i've seen, i like it too. at this point, i'm trying to figure out if its worth the price, or if i should stick with the Vivitar. what are your thoughts?

The Samyang/Vivitar/Falcon 85/1.4 is a cracker and very good wide open. The bokeh is lovely and smooth too. It absolutely cannot be beaten for value! But...I prefer the rendering of the Planar 85/1.4 and from what I've seen, the Sigma. It's down to personal taste though Smile I wouldn't care about AF either way, as I tend to use 85mm for portraits. And I have lots of time when taking portraits Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
gearsNcogs wrote:
ManualFocus-G wrote:

The Samyang/Vivitar/Falcon 85/1.4 is a cracker and very good wide open. The bokeh is lovely and smooth too. It absolutely cannot be beaten for value! But...I prefer the rendering of the Planar 85/1.4 and from what I've seen, the Sigma. It's down to personal taste though Smile I wouldn't care about AF either way, as I tend to use 85mm for portraits. And I have lots of time when taking portraits Very Happy

I really appreciate your opinion/advice. the frustrating part is, i still have to make a choice eventually! Razz On the plus side, It's going to be a while before I can afford either lens (I'm currently saving up for a study abroad program in Prague this summer), so I don't REALLY have to make a decision any time soon.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the Samyang/Vivitar/Polaris.... 1.4/85 ist that good.
I had this lens and when compared with some Tamron (AF-)lenses the 2.8/70-200 as well as the 18-250 (!!!!) it couldn't compete with regard to sharpness and contrast and colors.

...as well on Pentax Ds as on K-7.

I compared as well with the russian Jupiter 2.0/85 - here the 1.4/85 could compete very well - depending on the apertures.

Oh - I took pics with apertures from wirde open to f 8.0.

Sad enough: I made these shots during holidays and deleted the files after viewing and comparing....
Perhaps someone else can repeat this if anyone does not believe....

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, my Samyang was incredibly sharp wide open. It just didn't improve much from f2.8.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
gearsNcogs wrote:

No and no.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

I kind of agree with this, but at the wide open Planar 85/1.4 ZF has some grow which I like,
that is running in the family of Planar? Planar 50/1.4 ZF, Contax G Planar 35/2 have it too.

Latest Sigma does not have this grow (coming from uncorrected spherical aberration I guess),
ie. Sigma 85/1.4 is sharp at its wide open, and AF is relatively speaking fast and accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the money it is hard to beat the Vivitar Series 1. Probably one of the best lens purchases I've made.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Dawg wrote:
For the money it is hard to beat the Vivitar Series 1. Probably one of the best lens purchases I've made.

well, considering that you've had this lens for some time now, i have to say that your endorsement goes quite a way Big Dawg! personally, i'm thinking that i will be going with this lens when i have the money, although again, it will be a little while until i come up with that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to bring up this post again but i came up with a couple more questions.

1) does the vivitar/rokinon/samyang have hard stops on its focus ring? (a sigma 30/1.4 that i use frequently does not have hard stops on the focus ring, and its a bit of a problem when using follow focus for video)

2) is there ANY reason at all to purchase one version (vivitar) over another (rokinon) other than price? build quality? warranty? anything?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, the 85/1.4 has click stops
2. Only localised price differences / brand snobbery Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
1. Yes, the 85/1.4 has click stops
2. Only localised price differences / brand snobbery Laughing

Fantastic! exactly what i wanted to hear Very Happy