Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Can you guess which lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm    Post subject: Can you guess which lens? Reply with quote

Okay folks, figured this may be fun, esp. since there isn’t any discussion about this lens on this forum. Please refrain from posting information via exif data from the source image.

Couple of hints:

Lens is used on a Canon EOS 40D.
Number of combined elements: 17

The reason I’m doing this is to try to come up with a character of this lens, i.e. looks like the bokeh from xzy lens etc.

-Roy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a single lens with 17 elements? What kind of lens is this .. maybe a sophisticated zoom ?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focal length looks like wide to medium tele, 17 elements suggests a modern design with aspherical elements, which also would explain the bokeh... something in the 18-70mm range? Canon 17-85?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, this is just too hard. So some more help. Noticed I said combined elements, so no, this isn't a single lens.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I’ll give in and let you in on the setup. The setup is a Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5X Macro lens that only focuses from 1-5X magnification ~ 5” to 3” from the end of the lens to the subject. Not in anyone’s wildest imagination would a user ever imagine shooting up-close macro to infinity with this lens, but as one person found out (Brian Valentine “LordV”) slapping a 2X Telemore 98 II reversed on the end of the lens using reversing rings, you can do it all with the MP-E 

MP-E is 10 elements and the Telemore is 7 Elements:

Here’s the setup: http://www.flickr.com/photos/motleypixel/5543656563/

-Roy