Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Rikenon EE 28mm f2.8 - sample shots
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Rikenon EE 28mm f2.8 - sample shots Reply with quote

There's a tiny chip out of the very edge of the front element, but it doesn't seem to hurt IQ.

My body is a 1.6x crop Canon Rebel XS, so 28mm is like a 45mm "normal" lens for me. Presumably the included lens hood doesn't help much, because it's not a wide angle lens for me.

I bought it for utilitarian shots, my 50mm primes are lovely but on a crop body they're often too long. Do I want to explain to the missus that I had to choose between fitting my kid's face OR their birthday cake into the shot Smile

The Rinenon is a m42 mount lens with an extra lever. When the aperture dial is set to "EE" moving the lever adjusts aperture. That little lever seems to fold down out of the way when my flanged m42 EOS adapter is screwed on, so it mounts/unmounts without incident.

It seems quite sharp close up, and the relatively wide DOF makes focusing easier for a n00b like me. Here's 2 shots of my son's toy robot rocket launcher.

Here I actually captured the rocket in flight, so rocket and target are a little blurry.

Tripod, natural light + overhead incandescent. I was going for the gorgeous reflections I saw in Trifox's wineglass, but my glassware wasn't up to it Smile http://forum.mflenses.com/carl-zeiss-distagon-t-2-8-21-contax-cy-t37744.html

The fibres on the towel seem a good sharpness test so I kept the setup. A bit soft at f2.8, seems sharp at f4 and doesn't really improve after that.

f2.8

f4

I went for a walk a couple of weeks ago and got some handheld landscape shots. It seems decent, but I'm not seeing the same level of detail. Maybe I should bring a tripod, or maybe I can't expect perfect pixel peeping at those distances *shrug*.

Here's my favorite of that day. This is actually quite close to the road, I should try it again someday with a tripod.

This one is decent as well. I've got a little white blowout on the snow and black blowout in the shadows, so I guess I exposed properly Razz

Final verdict - good value for my $31.50 CDN Smile

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these Auto Rikenons but have not seen one with the "EE" before.I love how it captured the background of the first snow scene.A nice lens for $31.50.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love snow!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I like these Auto Rikenons but have not seen one with the "EE" before.I love how it captured the background of the first snow scene.A nice lens for $31.50.

Yeah, this site (or Google for that matter) didn't have much info on the Rikenon EEs either. It must have been fairly short lived.