Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Monopod or tripod for travel ?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 7:56 pm    Post subject: Monopod or tripod for travel ? Reply with quote

The low light and night city photo is one of my favorites.
But what to do , when I want a light package , without IS in lens or In body ?
Of course , fast lesnses f 1,2 - 1,6 with wide angle (24-35) combined with full frame could be an answer .But that's heavy money ! and heavy gear !

Nex 3 is good as a body for the weight and money (I wish it had IS) . The fast lenses 28 /2 maybe a 35/2 not faster( the pocket Sad )
I would add a light small and fast extending tripod or monopod for stabilising in extreme low-light . What would you suggest ?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

light weight , small tripod, but with long legs. A 10 USD Chinese made one can be okay, a better one is very good to have. Monopod is not works to me, I like monopod for tele-lens only.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take small monopod when I could make video, it help as my dslr doesn't have shake reduction
I don't need tripod, I have fast lenses Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sold my 30mm/1.4 Sigma , but that lens teached me that even with fast lenses , sometimes I need a larger DOF , so the 1.4 won't help .I need to stop down to capture more detail in focus , and then... I'm cooked ! Laughing need Image stab , or tripod . I had once a telescopic small one very fast to open and close but the ball head wasn't so good .Couldn't fix it well every time .I used it with Lumix FZ20 .It was so convenient that it was permanently attached on the camera . Never used a monopod .
The nex lacks the advantage of the viewfinder cameras of being able to stabilise in some degree by fixing against the face/arcade.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously i dont miss image stabilization on the nex when using the antiblur shot mode, similiar to the panoorama it takes 6 shots and processes them very quicly to produce a perfect image i use on the longer lenses and works perfect

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Seriously i dont miss image stabilization on the nex when using the antiblur shot mode, similiar to the panoorama it takes 6 shots and processes them very quicly to produce a perfect image i use on the longer lenses and works perfect

I used it but when goes on 6400 iso loses detail

Last edited by yinyangbt on Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a monopod typically to stabilize my camera/lens when the shutter speeds have fallen below the minimum required for that focal length. A monopod isn't much good at speeds slower than 1/4 second, I've found. And 1/4 second is pushing it.

So if you're planning on some long exposures at night, then plan on taking a tripod. You can find good ones that are designed for backpackers and the like, but they can get expensive. I'd start by looking to see what Gitzo has to offer.

And don't forget to pack a remote shutter release.