Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Nikon-to-m4/3 Adapter Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Nikon-to-m4/3 Adapter Question Reply with quote

Hi All,

I'm hoping some of you Nikon experts can help me out with an adapter question.

I recently acquired a 10.5cm Nikkor-P (9-blade aperture), with the specific intent of using it on my m4/3 camera by means of a Nikon-to-m4/3 adapter. The adapter (purchased from a source that has been very reliable up to now) was described as working with Non-AI and AI lenses alike.

Today the adapter arrived, and I tried mounting the lens. When it is inserted into the adapter, it will not turn in either direction, and so cannot be locked in place. I didn't have the leisure to try every possible orientation, but I'm relatively confident that one of two things is going on: either (a) there's some kind of lens/adapter incompatibility or (b) user error. The second is not unlikely. My last experience with Nikon lenses goes back a couple of decades, to a second-hand F2 Photomic, and I have only a vague recollection of the old "double-twist" routine that was necessary when changing a lens; so I'm not exactly well-versed in the intricacies of the various generations of Nikon mounts and cameras.

My understanding was that modern adapters are agnostic with respect to non-AI and AI lenses - that they work identically with both. But is there a trick to mounting an older non-AI lens to a current adapter? Or is this a known issue with some adapters - do I need a different one?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Nikon-to-m4/3 Adapter Question Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi All,

I'm hoping some of you Nikon experts can help me out with an adapter question.

I recently acquired a 10.5cm Nikkor-P (9-blade aperture), with the specific intent of using it on my m4/3 camera by means of a Nikon-to-m4/3 adapter. The adapter (purchased from a source that has been very reliable up to now) was described as working with Non-AI and AI lenses alike.

Today the adapter arrived, and I tried mounting the lens. When it is inserted into the adapter, it will not turn in either direction, and so cannot be locked in place. I didn't have the leisure to try every possible orientation, but I'm relatively confident that one of two things is going on: either (a) there's some kind of lens/adapter incompatibility or (b) user error. The second is not unlikely. My last experience with Nikon lenses goes back a couple of decades, to a second-hand F2 Photomic, and I have only a vague recollection of the old "double-twist" routine that was necessary when changing a lens; so I'm not exactly well-versed in the intricacies of the various generations of Nikon mounts and cameras.

My understanding was that modern adapters are agnostic with respect to non-AI and AI lenses - that they work identically with both. But is there a trick to mounting an older non-AI lens to a current adapter? Or is this a known issue with some adapters - do I need a different one?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Cheers,

Jon

Please post your lens and the adaptor if you can. I think a picture is worth a thousand words.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you can't mount it, something wrong either with lens or adapter. These adapter has simple Nikon F mount you must mount all kind of Nikon lenses from oldest to latest.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be a Nikon S lens, for rangefinder, you will need a different adapter if that's the case.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
Could it be a Nikon S lens, for rangefinder, you will need a different adapter if that's the case.

A good point. (make sure your lens has rabbit-ear for F-mount)

Btw, "double twist" is unnecessary. This is to engage the lens with rabbit
ear (pre-Ai, Ai, Ai-S) for meter coupling. For these modern adapter you
do not need such jiggling.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Nope, not a Nikon RF lens. I just passed on a nice 10.5cm Nikon-S lens last week, because I already had this one. Maybe not the best decision.

Since I posted, I discovered that I was able, with the application of a great deal of force, to twist the lens in the adapter. But when the lens is so mounted, the aperture ring won't move. Obviously the fit is simply too tight, and the likeliest reason (it seems to me) is a problem with the adapter - the flange that meets the lens must be too high.

Here's a really poor snap of the adapter and the lens - I deeply apologize for the quality of the image (G1 kit lens, AF). The adapter is woefully out of focus, but I'm not sure there's much to see there anyway; it looks like any other Nikon-to-m4/3 adapter. Hopefully the image of the lens is clear enough to show any possible issue there.

I'm sure I can return this adapter without any trouble. Do you think I should simply try an alternative source?

Thanks, again, for all your help.

Cheers,

Jon

PS See, I knew the old "twist" maneuver was out of date. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If lens ok, works fine for example in an analog body, adapter is wrong for sure. Perhaps source is okay, just this adapter has faulty.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi,

Nope, not a Nikon RF lens. I just passed on a nice 10.5cm Nikon-S lens last week, because I already had this one. Maybe not the best decision.

Since I posted, I discovered that I was able, with the application of a great deal of force, to twist the lens in the adapter. But when the lens is so mounted, the aperture ring won't move. Obviously the fit is simply too tight, and the likeliest reason (it seems to me) is a problem with the adapter - the flange that meets the lens must be too high.

Here's a really poor snap of the adapter and the lens - I deeply apologize for the quality of the image (G1 kit lens, AF). The adapter is woefully out of focus, but I'm not sure there's much to see there anyway; it looks like any other Nikon-to-m4/3 adapter. Hopefully the image of the lens is clear enough to show any possible issue there.

I'm sure I can return this adapter without any trouble. Do you think I should simply try an alternative source?

Thanks, again, for all your help.

Cheers,

Jon

PS See, I knew the old "twist" maneuver was out of date. Wink

There is two similar adaptor with and without zebra strip. Which one you get?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Laughing they have quality difference only if you will get a bad adaptor. Stefan has zebra , I have plain black both works great.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Any Laughing they have quality difference only if you will get a bad adaptor. Stefan has zebra , I have plain black both works great.

I see. Poor QC is inevitable in these mass produced generic adaptors. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Attila wrote:

Poor QC is normal, these adapters sells in mass amount on low prices. Poor QC is not really poor anyway I did re-sell many plus we have many members here and I rare hear any problem with them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
calvin83 wrote:
Attila wrote:

Poor QC is normal, these adapters sells in mass amount on low prices. Poor QC is not really poor anyway I did re-sell many plus we have many members here and I rare hear any problem with them.

I agrees Poor QC does not mean poor quality in many cheap adaptors. The design and the machine which makes these adaptor determine the quality. Good QC will reduce the chance of a bad copy..... I am very picky on adaptors as I think a poor adaptor which cannot works properly is waste of resources.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had any a bad trouble with those cheap or some expensive
adapters from HK and Japan. But OP's lens looks a genuine Nikon one albeit
older than 1966, so the adapter may have a culprit. It is hard to think thou.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be happy if phones, DVD players , even from big players Panasonic, Nokia etc will have at least same good quality than Chinese adapters. I bought many expensive garbage in last few years from Nokia, Panasonic. I bought lot more adapters from Chinese vendors and I had lot less troubles Shocked My expensive Nokia phone was crap from beginning, big Plasma TV did work well for 3 yrs only, I throw out numerous DVD players after one year etc.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Attila, I am with you. When one of our friends rent us some Korean
movie DVDs (one story 6~7 discs, much scratched), our old DVD player
kept stopping saying "cannot play this disc". So I went out shopping
newer and cheaper DVD players, one was DOA (Dead on Arrival) then
I got another new one, which played the discs but no SOUND! So I ended
up buying Sony's new BD players which works with all those bad DVD discs.

My Chinese adapters are much better quality than those dvd players! Sigh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple metal adaptor is more easily to make than most elelctronic appliance. Wink These cheap DVD player is only cost $1x USD in China and I don't expect they will give you good user experince.

Many costdown elelctronic producs will not last long. Some of them even desgined to work for the warranty period provided... I am still happy with my old ipod-mini which last for many years (moded with 8GB CF card and swap the battries many times).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks, everyone, for your comments. I'm relieved to know that the lens doesn't show any evidence of damage or modification (I didn't really think so, but one never knows). I agree that the problem must lie with this specific adapter.

It's not a zebra model, by the way; it's plain black. I did a quick eBay search, and I see that there are a few adapter versions out there. Some are fully chromed at the lens end, while mine has a chromed lens flange surrounded by black-finished metal. Just to be sure I'm getting a different model, I think I'll try one of the all-chrome variants.

For my part, I think inconsistent quality control is just a fact of life, and that it has less than ever to do with price or place of manufacture. Honestly, this is one of the very few problems I've had with any recent-production adapter. I think it's near-miraculous that I can invest about twenty-five US dollars and purchase an adapter that will allow me to mount lenses from an orphaned system on a current body. When you stop to think that we're talking about adapters that marry obscure old mounts to technologies that weren't even a gleam in an engineer's eye when those lenses were new, and you figure in the fact that many of those old systems went through several different iterations and running changes, you have to acknowledge that we're amazingly lucky everything works as well as it does. So if it takes a little trial-and-error to find the right adapter for this old lens, I'm perfectly fine with that.

Cheers,

Jon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,

Just dredging up this thread to offer a followup.

I wound up trying a different eBay Nikon-to-m4/3 adapter, and it was an improvement; but I still needed to spend significant time working with the Dremel in order to get everything moving freely and smoothly. I think it may simply be that some of the older non-AI lenses don't get along very well with some of the newer adapters.

On a related note, the seller of the original problematic adapter - a gentleman from whom I've purchased several other adapters without issue - promptly refunded my purchase price, but then blocked me from bidding on any of his other listings. I sent a note to ask about that, but never received a response. A very interesting policy: obviously you get one return, but after that you're not welcome at the shop.

I'm not mentioning the seller's name, because most of my experiences with him were positive; but if anyone's curious, just drop me a PM.

Cheers (and thanks again for all the assistance),

Jon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Univer wrote:
Hi All,

Just dredging up this thread to offer a followup.

I wound up trying a different eBay Nikon-to-m4/3 adapter, and it was an improvement; but I still needed to spend significant time working with the Dremel in order to get everything moving freely and smoothly. I think it may simply be that some of the older non-AI lenses don't get along very well with some of the newer adapters.

On a related note, the seller of the original problematic adapter - a gentleman from whom I've purchased several other adapters without issue - promptly refunded my purchase price, but then blocked me from bidding on any of his other listings. I sent a note to ask about that, but never received a response. A very interesting policy: obviously you get one return, but after that you're not welcome at the shop.

I'm not mentioning the seller's name, because most of my experiences with him were positive; but if anyone's curious, just drop me a PM.

Cheers (and thanks again for all the assistance),

Jon

I tried few third party non-AI lens and all they works well with my old AI to EOS adaptor. The designer of these new adaptors seems don't consider the compatibility of these old pre-AI and non-AI lens anymore.