Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First 120 film
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: First 120 film Reply with quote

Well, somebody said to me a while ago that I'd be blown away when I see my first 6x6 Velvia slide. I'm blown away by my first B&W shots and I'm still waiting for the first slides to arrive!

I finally managed to get the film in the spiral late last night and this morning I did the developing. No problems there but I had a disaster when I managed to pull the film out of the clip before it was dry and it fell on the carpet, covering the sticky side with small fibres and other bits.

I also realised my old scanner is designed for 35mm film only - the light in the lid for transparencies is a strip only 35mm wide. Nevertheless I scanned some of the negs and this is the result, a 3:2 crop from the square image, probably only around 25% of the total area!

Yashica-Mat 124G with Ilford PanF+ (50ASA) Very dull and cold day at The Louvre

A new scanner is needed fast, any recommendations? I've been looking at the Epsons, maybe the V500 or the V700 if I can afford it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it may have been myself or Orio that made the comment about Velvia 50 on 6x6.

It still stands..... Laughing

Nice image Peter - I like how you managed to retain some detail in the sky under such dull conditions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive sharpness. Now just imagine how much you could enlarge such a negative! You could easily produce posters.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Impressive sharpness. Now just imagine how much you could enlarge such a negative! You could easily produce posters.

I know. There's no sharpening to this picture at all, just a tweak of brightness/contrast. And this shot was hand-held!!! I can't believe the difference between this and 35mm.

Bob, thanks, I hate burnt out sky too. The 124G has a built-in meter but I'm not trusting it yet - there's a PX625 mercury battery in the camera, apparently working normally, but I guess it must be years old. I'll be replacing it soon, but for the time being I'm using the Weston meter with it. I took a couple of readings and balanced them out. Not surprisingly on a dull day with 50ASA film, the shots were a little under-exposed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter wrote:
I can't believe the difference between this and 35mm.

Wait until you get those Velvia 50 slides back....

Seriously.... Cool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly holds much promise until you can get a scanner for 120! If
you're not going beyond 120, the V500 has very impressive results,
even for 35mm:

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=665627#post665627

I was going to get the Plustek 7200 for 35mm, but I may just get this
instead (takes up less space having just the one scanner do both).

Great shot, Peter, looking forward to more!

Bill