Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

What to buy for crop EOS? Mamiya 55 1.4 SX or Nikkor 50 1.4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: What to buy for crop EOS? Mamiya 55 1.4 SX or Nikkor 50 1.4 Reply with quote

Hey guys.

I have two lenses lined up. Want to know which one of the two should I buy for no-modifications/light modifications use on a Canon EOS Rebel XT/350D? I have both the M42 and the Nikkor adapters.

One is a Mamiya-Sekor 55mm 1.4 SX Auto and the other is a Nikkor 50 1.4. The Mamiya is slightly better in terms of condition, but I'm ok with the Nikkor's condition as well. (Photos attached. Getting both for roughly the same price)

I'm a believer in the Nikkor range and totally know they can get their stuff spot on, but I find that the Mamiya-Sekor seems like an awesome alternative i would love to explore.

Is the pin on the Mamiya that locks the focus ring just a matter of being sawed off? If it's just that, I would love to explore the Mamiya route.

Do lemme know!

Cheers!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can vote for Nikkor it's sharp at 1.4 and very sharp from f2 Wink

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NikonD wrote:
I can vote for Nikkor it's sharp at 1.4 and very sharp from f2 Wink

+1 ... I have never owned or used a Mamiya lens, but all the Nikkors 50 (1.4 and 1.2) that i have used (or owned) were sharp starting wide open ...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor. It's a well known lens, with good optical properties. If anything, its resale value will be higher.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK ppl, the Nikkor has been ordered. The battered well-worn looks just adds to the coolness factor, I guess. He he.

As for the Mamiya, it would require grinding and chopping off metal bits so I guess I would buy that one later.

Thanks and cheers! Look forward to test shots.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to jump in after you have decided to go with the Nikkor. I have both Nikkor 50/1.4 non-AI and the Mamiya Sekor M/A version 55/1.4 (not SX) and I personally prefer the MS Sekor because its build quality, sharpness wide open and FL on crop body (55mm x 1.6 = 88mm). Price wide the sekor can be found 20-30 dollars cheaper than the Nikkor

IMHO, the Nikkor is very soft wide open while the MS 55/1.4 is very sharp, besides, don't buy the SX version and you don't have to file the protrusion.

Couple pitures taken from the MS 55/1,4

Wide open. I under-exposed by 1 stop that's why it's grainy after bumping it up in Lightroom

f2.8 or f4 I'm not sure

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some problems with Mamya SX: I know no M/A version available. In addition you have to file the Pin and the shutterring, to obtain infinity.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gewa13 wrote:
There are some problems with Mamya SX: I know no M/A version available. In addition you have to file the Pin and the shutterring, to obtain infinity.

I should have said the "Auto" version that has A/M (Auto/Manual) switch instead to be clearer. The Auto version is widely available on eBay.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ducdao wrote:
Sorry to jump in after you have decided to go with the Nikkor. I have both Nikkor 50/1.4 non-AI and the Mamiya Sekor M/A version 55/1.4 (not SX) and I personally prefer the MS Sekor because its build quality, sharpness wide open and FL on crop body (55mm x 1.6 = 88mm). Price wide the sekor can be found 20-30 dollars cheaper than the Nikkor

IMHO, the Nikkor is very soft wide open while the MS 55/1.4 is very sharp, besides, don't buy the SX version and you don't have to file the protrusion.

Couple pitures taken from the MS 55/1,4

Wide open. I under-exposed by 1 stop that's why it's grainy after bumping it up in Lightroom

f2.8 or f4 I'm not sure

Hey! Thank you for the detailed response. I'm based in India and really have no option when it comes to choosing. The seller that I've found has only these lenses on sale, so gotta choose between them. (And they're both the same price)

I read on the net that the Mamiya is one smooth operator and better than the Nikkor and had I found a non-SX, I would've gone in for that.

Maybe sometime later.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gewa13 wrote:

Exactly why I'm going in for the Nikkor when its supposed to be mounted on a EOS body.