Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Kodak Retina Reflex III - Retina Xenar 2.8/50mm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Kodak Retina Reflex III - Retina Xenar 2.8/50mm Reply with quote

Any experience ? I just bough i today in MINT condition , even light meter works and accurate Shocked

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre a lucky guy! this is one of my favorite cameras, i have all the S-K lenses as well. you canget adaoters to use on m4/3 , where the lenses really shine.

it is a very fun cam to use. ive found the light meter to be very accurate, ive never had an exposure problem. the lenses i like in order are the SK 35/2.8, 50/1.9 and 85/4. the remaining lenses are fine, but tend to be very low contrast. rodenstock also made lenses, as did voigtlander. ive used a coup,e of both and found they were not worth the extra money.

good luck and i cant wait to see some pictures!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Tony! Good news really!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anytime! btw, i really like hoe kodak elite chrome film looks from this cam

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try it out, thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "S" earlier version with the same lens was my first SLR, 40 years ago.

Very nice lens indeed ! Quick and easy to use camera. Focusing and DOF calculation are excellent.

You are very lucky, most of these don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I didn't know that, this camera must be did came from a serious collector, everything works perfectly , shutter , light meter is accurate as well. Pretty awesome engineering at first glance I like it very much.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes great engineering. yes also many dont work. yes also impossible to fix if they break--almost no one fixes them so treat her well!

Last edited by rbelyell on Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

attila, here are a few samples: first elite chrome and i think 35/2.8, second ilford sfx with 85mm arton, third is ferrania 400 and i think the 85 as well, fourth is the 50/1.9 on the ep1--these lenses are beautiful on m4/3:

btw, my, these downloads now look SO much better! i am no longer embarrassed to post! thank you for whatever you did!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great images! Thank you! I did replace , server side processing engine, which is works better.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im glad you like them. the first is one of my all time favorite portraits. i cant wait to see what you do with this cam and when you try the lenses on your g1!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#4 is stunning...glad the forum agrees with your images now! Very Happy Cool

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey mo, good to hear from you and thanks! i must say i was starting to get quite the insecurity complex! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today I did finish first test roll, I like this camera pretty much!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking forward to seeing shots from your first roll!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: Kodak Retina Reflex III - Retina Xenar 2.8/50mm Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
Any experience ? I just bough i today in MINT condition , even light meter works and accurate Shocked

What have I done wrong?...can't see any images of the camera?
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't publish any images.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forum.mflenses.com/kodak-retina-reflex-iii-retina-xenar-2-8-50mm-agfa-apx-100-t37848.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I didn't publish any images.

Aaaahhh.....well that's ok then.....but hang on, no it's not.
I would like to see what such a rare beast & lens looks like....so what about a couple of images....Please!
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your interest, here is one. I did take from camera when I did try it out with first roll.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, that is one good looking camera. What accessories/lenses do you have for it...and if it did break down or fail in some respect...meter etc...could it be fixed.
Nothing like as good as what you've shown there, but I do have a German made Retinette 1a, Compur Rapid 1/500 shutter f3.5, which I bought around 1960....the first 35mm I ever owned!
Cheers, Pickles.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any other lens for this camera yet, if meter is gone , easier to use external meter than fix or replace light meter.

I have two light meter what I like very much.

1) Gössen Pilot II, very small very accurate on daylight
2) Sekonic digital lightmeter , perfect in every lights.

Even if she has Kodak brand, this a German camera well designed , beautiful built. If you are interest to take one you can grab one from Ebay.
Perhaps I will also sell mine when 'new toy' feeling is over and I will look for another toy. I will let you know first before I will sell it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pic kles, many available on ebay, where i got mine w working meter. also, if youre really interested, i could find the site of one ebay seller who refurbishes these cams, bringing them to A+ condition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbelyell wrote:
pic kles, many available on ebay, where i got mine w working meter. also, if youre really interested, i could find the site of one ebay seller who refurbishes these cams, bringing them to A+ condition.

I wouldn't mind having a look at that site, but I'm afraid that I'm a bit "naughty"......I just "fall in love" with lovely machinery....whatever it is!
I'm in enough "trouble" with my Spotmatics & SMCs....I think I'd better stick with them!
But, I can remember when those Retinas & things like Zeiss-Ikons were sold new. On the ship coming out from England in 1958, the on board shop had heaps, & later on in Toowoomba Qld, when "Camera Shops" were common....I used to "lust" after them too.
But, I saved my "pocket money" to buy the best that I could afford at the time, when I was in school, and I bought my German made Retinette, which I still have!
Cheers, Pickles.