Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Olympus Trip 35 Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Olympus Trip 35 Questions Reply with quote

I just bought a guy's Olympus gear today, and this cute little Trip 35 was part of the haul:

I kinda like it because it's black. Cool

I've heard that these are pretty decent shooters, but haven't paid much attention because I didn't own one, and honestly had no intentions of buying one. Funny how that works out, huh? So, anyway I'm looking at this thing and the big selenium cell around the lens, and I'm thinking that, for sure, the selenium cell has to be dead. And then I browsed through some threads here, saw the results some of the folks here were getting, and got to thinking hmm . . . maybe I oughta check a bit deeper on this thing.

So I googled it and read up a bit on it and discovered that the camera has two shutter speeds, 1/40 and 1/200 that it alternates between depending on the light values when the aperture is set to "A" or depending on aperture when the aperture is set to a manual setting (I think? Not totally sure on the last one). All this being controlled by the selenium meter of course. So I got to hoping it still worked. Played around with it some by pointing it at a lamp indoors, then decided to take it outside, and played around some with ISO and apertures and confirmed to my satisfaction that, yes, indeedee, the meter still works. Woot! As to how accurate it is, welllll . . . I guess I'll have to run a roll of film through it to find out the answer to that one.

Okay, now to the questions. I ran across this site that shows how to service the camera's aperture:

http://www.thermojetstove.com/Trip35/

He mentions (and shows) a meter needle, and goes on to state that the way the camera works is the point at which the needle is trapped is the way it determines how far to open the aperture. Well, I don't see a needle happening anywhere with my Trip 35, so this has me wondering if it is able to expose correctly at all since it isn't trapping the needle -- or doing so visibly, at least. So, my question is -- is it possible that I might have a later model of the Trip 35, namely one that no longer uses a visible meter needle? Or is mine stuck, and I might need to get it unstuck?

Also, the aperture ring has the A and then the aperture numbers and at the very end of the ring it says "for Flash." I can't seem to find a way to move the ring over to this "for Flash" setting. Or is "for Flash" meant to indicate that that is what the manual aperture settings should be used for? Methinks most likely the latter.

So. I'll admit that I bought this guy's Oly stash for likely resale, but I'm thinking I might just set this little cutie aside, and sell off the rest.

So what is "the rest" you might be wondering? Two clean OM-1MDs, a 50/1.8, a Zuiko 135/3.5, a Vivitar 24/2.8 (Tokina made), and a dead Vivitar 283 flash. Unfortunately, this guy's late uncle, whose stuff this was, engraved his Colorado DL # onto every piece except the Trip 35 and the 50/1.8. Mad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere within the mechanism there has to be a needle or something like that to report the metered results to the aperture ofcourse. But in the viewfinder is no indication visible for the aperture applied. Unfortunatelyl

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I noticed there was no aperture readout in the VF, unless you move the ring off the "A" setting, then there's a little window on the bottom right that shows you which one was selected. But I was expecting there to be a needle visible at least. So you're telling me that the needle is just an internal mechanism and not visible in the VF, right?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The needle is internal, there's a clever arrangement of gears that trap the needle to set the shutter speed. The trip35 is a very nice camera, if your selenium cell is still working keep the camera in the dark, it will keep it working for another few years.

A few pictures of its internals here

http://www.thermojetstove.com/Trip35/

BTW you might want to topen the top and clean the viewfinder, they are usually dirty and a good scrub makes quite a difference. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you like the camera.

They do sell well on Ebay, which is where the one I was given went. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
if your selenium cell is still working keep the camera in the dark, it will keep it working for another few years.

I don't agree with that Rolling Eyes. You can have fun with the camera and the nice lens of it. You only need a fitting lenscap to keep the selenium cell in darkness when you don't use the Trip Very Happy !

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I don't agree with that Rolling Eyes. You can have fun with the camera and the nice lens of it. You only need a fitting lenscap to keep the selenium cell in darkness when you don't use the Trip Very Happy !

That's exactly what I was saying, what made you think I suggested to keep the camera in the dark *always* and *never use it*? Shocked

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Trip 35 came with its original lens cap, which fits rather loosely, and a nice little leather case, where apparently it's always been stored when not in use. So no doubt the habits of the previous owner have led to its selenium cell's longevity.

Actually the VF is quite clear, so at this point, I don't really see the need to open it up and clean things.

Very interesting -- I just did a search on "completed listings" for the Trip 35 on eBay, and there is definitely a premium paid for black ones -- 2 to 3 times as much. Woot! Not really planning on selling it at this point, but if I change my mind, it's nice to know I'll be able to make some money off of it.

Mostly what I want to do right now with it is just run a roll of film through it and make sure it's exposing properly.