Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Very scratched front element Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:42 pm    Post subject: Very scratched front element Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED Reply with quote

This lens used by photo journalist who didn't care his gear. Front element has every kind of scratches small, big and a lot on it. Looks it was used in war Shocked

Here is the result I recommend it to all people who make drama from one single cleaning mark or scratch. (most hobby photographer)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Very scratched front element Nikon 180mm f2.8 ED Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
This lens used by photo journalist who didn't care his gear. Front element has every kind of scratches small, big and a lot on it. Looks it was used in war Shocked

Here is the result I recommend it to all people who make drama from one single cleaning mark or scratch. (most hobby photographer)

can you post the picture of the front element?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes later yes.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice set. I particularly like #4 (St Mattias Church ?)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
Very nice set. I particularly like #4 (St Mattias Church ?)

Thank you , yes it is St Mattias , roof is refurbished now fully.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder (suspect) that the image will be affected if it is either shot into the sun, In high contrast lighting, or certain angles of incident light. There must be a surprise at some point if the front element is so beaten up. Honestly, the 180 ED AIS in excellent condition can be bought for less than US$300/€200 so the price advantage of a severely damaged one can't be great, unless it's free.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I get with this lens???

semso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use it simple.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, looks very good!

I recently bought a BGN grade Mamiya 140/4.5 macro (for RB) from KEH and was concerned as there were two marks on rear element but it shoots great.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
What can I get with this lens???

semso

You can get excellent photos, it's a Leica! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Carsten,
rear element is mint ,fortunatly

semso

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semso wrote:
Thanks Carsten,
rear element is mint ,fortunatly

semso

I had lens with scratched rare element too, I found it visible only at small aperture above F8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples taken with this lens are here

with a MINT COPY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crikey! Great samples though!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Shoot, that ain't nothing! The 180/2.8 ED I used to own, I bought from a working photojournalist who was selling off his MF gear and moving over to AF. I got it for cheap because it was all beat up and had a big gouge taken out of the front element. It wasn't just a chip, it was about a 1cm diameter divot. A gash! And yet, that was one of my best lenses. I loved the images I got from that lens, and frankly didn't care a bit about that big chip out of the front of it.

Some pics I took at an airshow back in 1992 or so with my beat up 180/2.8 ED:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you to confirm it Michael!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A gouge in the rear element may have had a more noticeable impact, but fortunately on most tele lenses it's recessed and therefore not easily damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AhamB wrote:
A gouge in the rear element may have had a more noticeable impact, but fortunately on most tele lenses it's recessed and therefore not easily damaged.

I found if rare element is scratched badly that is visible you can see scratch on photos like a dirty scan if aperture is smaller than F8.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won an AIS version of this lens on ebay. It has a 1cm scratch on the front element. I got it for $93 AUS because of the scratch. It is now my best lens. I also bought an old 200mm f4 Nikkor QC for $50. It has extensive brassing, light scratches all over front element & has plenty of dust inside. The images I get from it are spectacular, the contrast is strong & I am not afraid to use it in the rain or dust. The moral of the story is buy these old users for next to nothing, stick em on your camera & make great photos. Don’t worry about their condition, just get down & dirty with them!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I found this old book (1935) on 'Google books' which has some pages that are free to read. Page 68 pretty much summarises everything you need to know about optical defects.

Link: http://books.google.com/books?id=0ikDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA68&dq=cleaning+lens&hl=en&ei=O2iHTZOdKtG5hAfIyIzABA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=1&ved=0CEEQ6wEwAA#v=onepage&q=cleaning%20lens&f=false

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s not new that the frontal acratches aren't bad things to take pics.

The fungus, not very strog, of course, ae the inner first fornt element don't converted the lens into a bad pics taker.

The haze is anorher question. A different one. The contrat and the resolving power can be affected by the haze. It canbe between glass elements or inside the element. The last can´t be fixed.

A friend of mine have, casuality had a nikon 2,8/180 with the front element very, very scratched. And the images taken with it were excelent.

Rino