Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Oh golly... out goes Mamiya 35mm kit, in comes OM3 or OM4
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:18 pm    Post subject: Oh golly... out goes Mamiya 35mm kit, in comes OM3 or OM4 Reply with quote

Well I've got quite a number of Mamiya 35mm cameras - SLRs with lenses and Rangefinders. Some I use, some are wrapped and stored. One or two are no longer fully functional, maybe the selenium battery in the meter has gone, that kind of thing.

Last year I sold my Oly OM1, 2 and 4 bodies.

I miss them.

I miss them so much that I've now got another OM2.

I'm looking at the drawer of Mamiyas and find myself thinking that if I sold them all I could rationalise down to these few Oly OM bodies. They're light and compact, they're probably better cameras from a technical point of view.

Why am I telling you this? Well, I suppose I 'm starting to look for an OM3 or a 4 and one of you lovely people might just have the right kind of thing?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help you - having said that, if I had an OM3 and/or OM4 I don't think I could part with them! Wink Smile

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got an OM1 by accident, I bought a pile of Minolts stuff and the OM and a few lenses in with it. I'd never had an Olympus camera in over 40 years of photography, I was a Canon man and then Pentax. But the OM1 was such a revalation I wish I'd gone to the dark side years ago. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had OM2n, nice , but I not found any special what grab my heart, same was Pentax MX and many others.I like simple RF cameras and medium format I use SLR only if I like to use ultra-wide angle lens like Konica UC 15mm. RF is small and handy, pocketable. Medium format has unbeatable IQ.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OM-3 is a great camera, but there are only 2 reasons to prefer it over OM-4
1) you want fully mechanical camera with very advanced exposure metering AND collector value
2) you don´t mind paying 3x higher sum for it

Anyway, good luck with search;)

Attila wrote:
Medium format has unbeatable IQ.
erm.. what about large format? Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like the Mamiyas, no reason not to stick with them. Only issue is Mamiya bodies are awfully unreliable, it's very hard to find a working ZE or ZE-2 these days, I gave up trying to find a working one and sold all my Mamiya lenses, which was a shame as they are really excellent.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a T70 body for £10 and solve your GAS Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
OM-3 is a great camera, but there are only 2 reasons to prefer it over OM-4
1) you want fully mechanical camera with very advanced exposure metering AND collector value
2) you don´t mind paying 3x higher sum for it

Anyway, good luck with search;)

Attila wrote:
erm.. what about large format? Laughing

Unusable... with medium format you can walk, shoot , convince, with large format not. Scan is another thing, scan medium format and large format , publish them visible difference is little.Large format for time millioner only.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh come on, you were talking about image quality, not easiness of use. and yes, of course there are large format cameras which are hand-holdable, for example Graflex. anyway, better to shoot 1 good photo than 1000 crap photos.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

berraneck wrote:
oh come on, you were talking about image quality, not easiness of use. and yes, of course there are large format cameras which are hand-holdable, for example Graflex. anyway, better to shoot 1 good photo than 1000 crap photos.

Try both, MF and LF an decide, MF IQ is more than enough to me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That argument started over a century ago! Is it still rolling on? and don't forget the er, lively discussion? when Ernst Lietz kicked off with the 35mm format! Of course, we are now at the beginning of the digital vs film arguments as enthusiasts offer their opinions on the many topics involved in here.

Attila wrote:
erm.. what about large format? Laughing[/quote]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:

Laughing It's surprisingly good and handy .

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yinyangbt wrote:
Excalibur wrote:

Laughing It's surprisingly good and handy .

I think people forget that photography is also about taking photographs Wink