Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Pleasant surprise with FD 50mm f/1.8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:29 am    Post subject: Pleasant surprise with FD 50mm f/1.8 Reply with quote

I have this 50mm FD lens.

I don't like the FD mount - I find it too fiddly.

I tried this lens previously on my 5DI with a "glazed" FD to EOS adapter and disliked it so much that I put the lens, the adapter and an unglazed adapter on EBay for a slightly cheeky B-I-N in aniticipation of an acceptable offer.

It didn't go straight away.

I took delivery of a lovely new 5DII.

I put the FD 50mm on the unglazed adapter and took it for a walk one morning this week.

It will only focus at around eight inches. I nearly took it off again but with a dew laden morning something told me to go with it.

I came home surprised, delighted and happy, immediately withdrawing the lens from EBay.

Okay, the images acheived aren't all razor sharp and I need to stop the lens down further than the f5.6 I was using.

Last year I sold my macro lens figuring I'd get by with other lenses and extension tubes. I made the correct decision. Laughing

and for bokeh:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments?

Nothing good, bad or indifferent?

At all? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I wouldn't worry we find the posts eventually,I do like the way it handles the greens...how about the reds and yellows?
I don't have anything to do with canon lenses...although I have been curious to see what these FD lenses can do and if they are hidden gems. Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tikkathree wrote:
No comments?

Nothing good, bad or indifferent?

At all? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Well it's no surprise as most nifty fifty's are VG stopped down.....but some one might start an interesting thread to show which COMMON 50mm is best for close ups Wink

I'll start the ball rolling with a meyer 50mm:-

enlargement:-

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. no . no!

Canon FD line is very bad - please, do not buy any Very Happy

lol == joking, of course ..

The FD lenses are 'slightly behind the time' in use on digital bodies in comparison to other lenses they can be fit easily via adapter on digital cameras - especially full frame ones.

Since all this 'hysteria' has begun - I mean using MF lenses on digital bodies - there has not been such a big opportunity using FD glasses on digital because Panasonic, NX, NEX and other systems are still a bit young and using this on FF bodies (i.e. EOS with EF mount) is in very slow progress.

I am not saying that owners of FD glasses using them on film cameras didn't know about their good quality!!!

I just want to mention that the instant digital pictures are easy to share on various websites and pixel peeping is going further and further.

I discovered about 12 FD glasses so far from cheap to more expensive and they are more or less superb - let's say that Canon has done a great job with FD lenses in general!

and yes -- we can expect prices rising shortly..

Back to the FD 50 f1.8 - great lens , cheap, nice colours and -- be careful - it's going to be valued more and more .. even that one was just cheap kit lens.

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Trifox.

My modest observtions are that EBay brand "glazed" FD/EOS adapters mar the potential of FD lenses. I'm also playing with a Sigma 400 in FD mount: I get almost infinity focusing with the glazed adapter but some fringing, or with an unglazed adapter, a maximum focla length of about 30 feet. The results are still in the camera but I'm hoping that the fringing will have disappeared.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been shooting with FD glass since the early 1980s. Back in those days, Nikon was God and Canon was an also-ran. But we FD users knew that our lenses were just as good, if not better than the Nikon stuff.

Now I shoot with both Canon FD and Nikon, as well as Canon EF. I love my Nikkors, but honestly, I still prefer my Canon FD optics. One of my favorites is my 50mm f/1.4 SSC, which can still be found on feeBay and other places for reasonable sums.

FD 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4

FD 50mm f/1.4 @ f/8

FD 50mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael - this is not fair! Smile

We are discussing FD 50 f1.8 and you are forcing me to buy 50 f1.4!

Thank you very much!!! Very Happy

tf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Canon 50 1.8 is a brilliant lens imo, but the 1.4 is superb!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to say this very quietly, I've got my eye on an FD 1.2 Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a 50 1.8 bundled free when I bought my Tamron 90SP.
Haven't bothered to buy an adapter as I read bad things about them.
Which is a shame because it's mint.

I have a Pentacon 50 1.8 pretty much glued to the front of my camera (even over my Sigma 1.4!) - are the FD lenses worth a try?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****are the FD lenses worth a try?***

Great on a film camera Cool

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, got caught up in the excitement and all.

The great thing about the 50/1.8 is you can usually pick one up for nothing -- you just have to buy a camera that it's attached to. In these situations, the 50/1.8 is little more than a body cap. So you buy an AE-1 for $20, keep the lens, then resell the AE-1 for $20. Heh.

Okay, I had to think for a minute about this. Problem is, all my uses of the FD 50mm f/1.8 occurred over 20 years ago and I remember only a handful of images I took with that lens.

This was the easiest one to find. It's actually a fairly small crop from a Kodachrome slide, so don't be looking for a lot of resolution.

Just in case you're wondering, here's the ugly original:

As you can see, I used a flash and "foreground clutter" reflected back most of the flash's light, so fortunately for me, the fire-eater wasn't affected by the flash. Should have used a longer focal length lens and dispensed with the flash. One of those situations where I ended up with a good photo despite being a total dumbass about the way I went about it. Cool