Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Vivitar series 1 70-210mm 2.8/4 v3 (Komine) DMC-G1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Vivitar series 1 70-210mm 2.8/4 v3 (Komine) DMC-G1 Reply with quote

Here are a couple of shots I took today with my series 1 Komine 70-210mm.

Love this lens, but the lack of auto-focus makes shots like this (for me at least) 1 in 100.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of AF need not impede you. What camera do you use? Does it support trap-focus? My Pentax K20D features Catch-In-Focus, which I use extensively with my many many MF lenses -- including my version 1 (Kiron) of the Viv S1 70-210/3.5. Aim lens; hold down shutter; focus; when focus is achieved, the shutter trips. Check your camera manual for trap-focus.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
Lack of AF need not impede you. What camera do you use? Does it support trap-focus? My Pentax K20D features Catch-In-Focus, which I use extensively with my many many MF lenses -- including my version 1 (Kiron) of the Viv S1 70-210/3.5. Aim lens; hold down shutter; focus; when focus is achieved, the shutter trips. Check your camera manual for trap-focus.

Panasonic G1 (clue was in the title Very Happy )

Don't think it has "trap focus"

How does that work? There's always something in focus.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With practice, these can be 1-in-20 !

My technique for close focus with MF - get focus generally in the area (focus confirm helps there, if your body has it), then sway back and forth (don't mess with the focus setting) taking LOTS of shots. The swaying back and forth 1-3 inches (or 1-5 cm) will give you focus bracketing.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
With practice, these can be 1-in-20 !

My technique for close focus with MF - get focus generally in the area (focus confirm helps there, if your body has it), then sway back and forth (don't mess with the focus setting) taking LOTS of shots. The swaying back and forth 1-3 inches (or 1-5 cm) will give you focus bracketing.

tbh the Gander wasn't so bad, he was posing so a 1 in 3 for him. But the goslings were all over the place....

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

f8andbethere wrote:

Oops, sorry, I'm not up on m4/3 cam names. Duh...

Quote:

I have read that various dSLRs support trap-focus. It's like the poor guy's AF. On Pentax cams it's called CIF (catch-in-focus). When enabled, you point at something and hold down the shutter. When focus is confirmed, the shutter snaps.

This is typically used with manual focus lenses with the aperture somewhere between wide-open and f/9. If the aperture is smaller, not enough light registers. Pentax cams also have a trick to use CIF on AF lenses. And we'll usually have metering / focus set to spot or center-weighted.

How to get focus confirmation? Either twist the focus ring, or move towards or away from the subject, or await a subject to reach the magic point. For instance, in a race, you might prefocus at a certain point and wait for a racer to get there. SNAP! Set the camera to Continuous Drive, put it on a tripod, use a remote to hold the shutter down, and EVERY racer who passes that point will be snapped, in-focus. That technique is useful for capturing bicyclists, birds, bowlers and burglars.

With my delaminating eyeballs, I depend on CIF a great deal with my many manual and enlarger and projector lenses. As long as the subject area isn't too confusing and cluttered, or I'm not too sloppy, I get a very high percentage of keepers.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RioRico wrote:
f8andbethere wrote:

Oops, sorry, I'm not up on m4/3 cam names. Duh...

Quote:

I have read that various dSLRs support trap-focus. It's like the poor guy's AF. On Pentax cams it's called CIF (catch-in-focus). When enabled, you point at something and hold down the shutter. When focus is confirmed, the shutter snaps.

This is typically used with manual focus lenses with the aperture somewhere between wide-open and f/9. If the aperture is smaller, not enough light registers. Pentax cams also have a trick to use CIF on AF lenses. And we'll usually have metering / focus set to spot or center-weighted.

How to get focus confirmation? Either twist the focus ring, or move towards or away from the subject, or await a subject to reach the magic point. For instance, in a race, you might prefocus at a certain point and wait for a racer to get there. SNAP! Set the camera to Continuous Drive, put it on a tripod, use a remote to hold the shutter down, and EVERY racer who passes that point will be snapped, in-focus. That technique is useful for capturing bicyclists, birds, bowlers and burglars.

With my delaminating eyeballs, I depend on CIF a great deal with my many manual and enlarger and projector lenses. As long as the subject area isn't too confusing and cluttered, or I'm not too sloppy, I get a very high percentage of keepers.

Thanks for the info, that's a very useful feature. Anyone know a way of doing something similar with the G1?