Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Last Rolls of Kodachrome: Canon F-1 and some vintage glass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:57 am    Post subject: Last Rolls of Kodachrome: Canon F-1 and some vintage glass Reply with quote

I finished up the last of 4 rolls of Kodachrome on Dec 26 and express-mailed them to Dwayne's Photo in Kansas, USA. Took about a month to get them back (there were 10,000 or more rolls supposedly in the last week or so...)

Finally sorted thru and posted a few that might be of interest.

I was trying to shoot how I remember Kodachrome...really snapshots that you wind up looking at years later, and remember...RED.

Shot on my old school Canon F-1 with a variety of lenses, including a pre-war Biotar 58/2, Nikkor-O 35/2, Super Yashinon-R 3,5/2.8 c.1960 etc.

These are all pretty much as scanned by Dwayne's. Not the greatest scan, but better than the average local US drugstore it seems...

This link goes to my Smugmug gallery where there are a couple of additional pix:
http://eggboy.smugmug.com/Other/The-Last-Kodachrome/16086767_F9Lxe#1207430391_Kres4

Roses. Lens: 50mm f1.4 Canon FD chrome nose c.1972

On the red couch. Lens: 3.5cm f2.8 Super Yashinon-R c.1960

On the red couch 2. Lens: 3.5cm f2.8 Super Yashinon-R c.1960

With a ball. Lens: 5.8cm f2 Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar c.1937

Same as above, except gently converted to greyscale in Lightroom

Coming around. Lens: 5.8cm f2 Carl Zeiss Jena Biotar c.1937

Hiking by the lake. Lens: 35mm f2 Nikkor-O c.1968

Leaning. Lens: 50mm f1.4 Canon FD chrome nose c.1972

In the kitchen. Lens: 50mm f1.4 Canon FD chrome nose c.1972

Leftovers. Lens: 50mm f1.4 Canon FD chrome nose c.1972

Picking out the Christmas tree. Lens: 50mm f1.4 Canon FD chrome nose c.1972

In the snow. Lens: 50mm f1.4 Canon FD chrome nose c.1972

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice series. Great colours and the scans are much much better than I expected reading your text before.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!
Nice series! Very Happy
I love the colours....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love those Kodachrome reds! I especially like the shots on the couch.

Mama, don't take my Kodachrome --
Mama, don't take my Kodachrome --
Mama, don't take my Kodachrome away!

Prophetic.

I too had four rolls left that I shot just before the deadline. Didn't get mine back from Dwayne's until the first part of February. I also loaded up my old Canon F-1 with the film, but I was just shooting Canon FD glass with mine . . . for the most part. Haven't gotten around to posting any of the images yet. Guess I should do something about that.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that I can't shoot Kodachrome, I want to...of course, these 4 rolls were the first I've shot for about 15 years.

Luckily I remembered what an unforgiving film it was. I actually carried my Canon 40D with me, with one of the custom settings on ISO100 and then 2/3 of a stop underexposure set...then I'd snap and check the histogram.

The F-1's meter was usually pretty close.

@cooltouch: get the pix up!
@Rolf: thanks. The scans we pretty good. I am going to send my next few rolls (of mostly C-41 print) to them to see what happens.
@danikatia: I actually looked for red...couches, coats, balls, etc.

I've downloaded a bunch of Kodachrome presets for Lightroom, which seem to give me fun results. I'm planning on selling some of my unused film bodies to fund a used 5D...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:

The F-1's meter was usually pretty close.

@cooltouch: get the pix up!

Back in the day when I was shooting five or more rolls of slides a week, I came to rely closely on my old F-1's meter. It was always dead-nuts accurate. The F-1s I had back then are long gone, but I bought another a while back. One thing I've noticed with these new zinc-air batteries I'm having to use with it is they seem to work well as long as the air temperature is not cold. When I was out shooting my F-1 at the end of December the temps here in Houston were in the low 40s and high 30s, and the meter was reading four or five stops off. But once things warmed up, it was back to reading accurately. Drove me nuts. So, I just made sure I carried my Gossen with me and double-checked all my meter readings with it. For the most part, I did okay, but unlike you I'd forgotten just how narrow the latitude of the slide film is, so there were a number of exposures that were darker than optimum.

I'm out of practice, just need to shoot more slides I tell myself. Cool

And thanks for the nudge. I'm going through my slides now to see what I have that are even worth posting. I was getting desperate toward the end there and taking pics just for the sake of taking pics, which I hate to do. Especially with my last ever exposures of Kodachrome. But better those than none at all, eh?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice series, #2 is best

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes many of these are TOP CLASS and DELICIOUS, and I'm sad that this sort of film is gone.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:

One thing I've noticed with these new zinc-air batteries I'm having to use with it is they seem to work well as long as the air temperature is not cold...

I'm out of practice, just need to shoot more slides I tell myself. Cool

And thanks for the nudge. I'm going through my slides now to see what I have that are even worth posting. I was getting desperate toward the end there and taking pics just for the sake of taking pics, which I hate to do. Especially with my last ever exposures of Kodachrome. But better those than none at all, eh?

You are welcome for the nudge. It's actually a pay it forward kinda thing, as I was nudged by many to "get the g*d d*mn pix up already" ...

I've used the same 675/o-ring technique you use, and noticed the same thing re: cold, so I sprang for the CRIS adapter:
http://www.criscam.com/mercury_battery_adapters.php

Uses 386 silver oxide batteries. A bit pricey, and some electrically-competent peeps could easily make these for less than US$30/each, but for me time is expensive nowadays, so I sprang for 2 to run my Nikon F with Photomic finder.. and the F-1, and the Minolta SRT and Canon FtB etc.

Luckily in Boston it snowed right before the deadline for mailing the film, and my kid has a red snow suit.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Yes many of these are TOP CLASS and DELICIOUS, and I'm sad that this sort of film is gone.

Thank you! It helps when you have a:

- a great venue: Vermont, Boston etc.
- fine looking and great wife
- a gloriously cute kid

Confused