Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Cheap manual f set up for two bodys - need pro help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Cheap manual f set up for two bodys - need pro help Reply with quote

hi, won't try to explain everything since my English isn't that good Smile
But what I want to ask is this, witch lenses m42 I should buy for my two cameras : Sony a300 and Nikon d7000 ?

Have already Helios m42 + 52-62mm ring and af confirm ring for Sony + my sigma 18-200mm what else I should get ?

For Nikon I have standard 18-105mm VR + 24mm 2.8 MITSUKI and KIRON 80-200mm macro 1:4 (needs urgent cleaning - damn fungus)

Now what I want is good but cheap lenses for both cameras, any suggestions ?

Also about that Kiron where the hell I can clean it ? Im based in UK and seems like no1 here doing stuff like this Sad

thx for all opinions, cheers !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M42 lenses will not work on your Nikon without using adapters that degrade image quality. Decent cheap manual Nikon-mount lenses may be labeled as Vivitar, Quantaray, or various other third-party or store brands. Some good old manual Nikkor primes will not cost much, either.

M42 lenses are no problem on your Sony with the right adapter. Good cheap manual primes may be labeled as Vivitar, Sears, Porst, or other distributors' brand names. You can also use Minolta A-type (Maxxum) lenses, which are fairly common and inexpensive.

Cheap lenses are common. Many in 28mm, 35mm, 50mm, 55mm, 135mm, and 200mm, are quite good and quite cheap. Other focal lengths, especially faster lenses, are more rare and more expensive. Supply and demand controls the prices.

And sometimes the markets are insane. A Super-Takumar 55/1.8 might sell for US$50. A Super-Takumar 55/2, which has EXACTLY THE SAME OPTICS but was built to be slightly slower, might NOT sell for US$10. Both are superb. One is desired, the other isn't. Ha!

Those are some general points. Others here may suggest specific lenses. Everybody has their favorites. Not all are cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In your case I would try to concentrate on Tamron lenses with Adaptall-2 mounts.
You can buy the right rear end, one for M42 and one for Nikon.

And those Tamron lenses are really good, esp. (but not only) the SP versions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, universal-mount lenses, I forgot to mention those. Yes, Adaptall-2, also T2-mount lenses, from Tamron and Vivitar and others.

Also, my favorite inexpensive setup: bellows with enlarger lenses. For you, a Nikon bellows, which can use the Nikon-Sony adapter; and then whatever inexpensive enlarger or macro-bellows lenses that you can find. These are very sharp, very flexible, and often very cheap.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
In your case I would try to concentrate on Tamron lenses with Adaptall-2 mounts.
You can buy the right rear end, one for M42 and one for Nikon.

And those Tamron lenses are really good, esp. (but not only) the SP versions.

+1