Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Carry-On Modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Carry-On Modifications Reply with quote

I guess the subject of camera bags can be considered "other accessories," so I thought I'd put the thread here.

I've noticed since getting back into photography that the good old over-the-shoulder camera bags are no longer so popular. Seems like most folks are using either backpacks or gear that looks a bit like rolling carry-on luggage.

Well, after being to a few all-day events and having to drag my gear around on my shoulder -- me with a bad back and all -- I can see why backpacks and rolling camera cases would be popular. But geez, they are expensive!

So of course in order to save money I've decided to improvise. I did a similar thing years ago when my only camera bag had no compartments to speak of, so I got a hold of some closed cell foam -- I found a sheet of it at a sporting goods store. It's used to separate a sleeping bag from the ground and acts as an insulator. So I cut it up and made compartments out of it, gluing everything together with contact cement. That worked very well and that bag served me well for years.

So I thought I'd try this again. First thing I found was nobody locally had the closed cell foam sheets for putting under sleeping bags. There's this new high-tech stuff they use that's unsuitable for my purposes, and of course it costs way more than I'd want to spend anyway. I finally located the regular old closed-cell foam on line:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Rest-Easy-Camp-Pad/dp/B00168ZJWY

But I didn't want to wait, and finally I found a couple of small pads that are meant to put atop an exercise device. They were kind of small, but cheap enough, so I bought them. I should have bought the mail order product and just waited. Smile The stuff I have is not as stiff as the stuff I used before. But I went ahead and cobbled something together anyway.

It's nothing special, but it works. The "bag" is a piece of carry-on luggage that I use when I have to fly somewhere. It has the wheels and the extension handle and all, plus the sides, front and rear are padded. So I just laid a large piece down inside the carry-on, large enough where it came up the sides. It's just pushed down in there. Then I glued the separator pieces in place. The two lenses on top are just wrapped in the same material, and to make it so the camera won't move around too much, I shoved a few extra pieces behind it.

Call this version 1.0. Cool It will work well enough for now, but I am less than satisfied with the overall fit and rigidity. However, I spent about $16 to convert my carry-on to a camera case, whereas if I would have bought a carry-on style camera case, I'd have had to pay over $200 for one. In a future version, I may glue some of the closed-cell material to some rigid pieces of wood or plastic for more reinforcement.

I'm gonna order some of that blue stuff that Amazon has and see if I can't do a bit better of a job with it. Plus I have a backpack that will work well for this type of conversion, and I ought to be able to configure it for two cameras, several lenses, a flash and a few other odds and ends.

I'll add to this threa as I improve on this.