Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Soft Focus Lenses on a Nikon D3
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Soft Focus Lenses on a Nikon D3 Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just stumbled upon this fantastic forum and have to admit I've been sucked in. Just what I need...another expensive hobby. Smile I found this site while researching old soft focus lenses. I have no experience with them, but am looking for something that could replicate the outstanding photos in the link below.

http: // galactinus.net/vilva/retro/radionar_bw.html

Does anyone have any recommendations for a lens that could be adapted to an F-Mount and work with a DSLR? I shoot with a Nikon D3. Any suggestions or recommendation, places to research etc would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff

and welcome to mflenses! You have found a great forum with lots of info for your needs.

I work with soft focus lenses and I have quite a few of them, also some that I made especially for
my needs. I work with Nikon + Panasonic + Hasselblad bodies.

See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/kds315/sets/72157624557978060/

I have more info for you, email me --> postmaster AT macrolenses.de

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a soligor 135mm f/2.8 which is so soft it would qualify as a soft focus lens
great for shooting portraits of my girlfriend next to useless for shooting anything else because it does not have as much character as a real soft focus lens.
but if you only want to shoot some portraits, go for a cheap 135mm and shoot it wide open Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shoot primarily architecture and landscapes, so I'm trying to replicate the optical characteristics of those old lenses (soft focus, blooms, aberrations etc.) I rarely shoot people and definitely don't want the traditional soft-focus dreamy wedding look.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old landscape shooting lenses come to mind (brass type, Petzval design for instance), which I have also used occasionally. They have to have rel. short focal length to be useful on a D3 and need focusing mounts.