Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First manual shots - Nikkor Ai 50mm 1.4 , 55mm 3.5 micro
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: First manual shots - Nikkor Ai 50mm 1.4 , 55mm 3.5 micro Reply with quote

Recent convert to manual lenses. I grabbed a Ai 50mm 1.4 and a micro 55mm 3.5 a few days ago. Here are my first pics with the 50 1.4 on my D3000. (First time shooting with a manual lens so no sniggering at the back Wink )

The lens itself first.

Like the bokeh in this one. The can isn't sharp enough though. Had a few too many probably!

Thanks for looking

Last edited by Yebisu on Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twose are two absolute classics which still can rival or outperform many modern lenses, despite more than 30 years of history.

The 50/1.4 Ai has slower focus throw than the Ai-S, so it is delightful for manual focusing. It vignettes heavily wide open and contrast is low but immediately at f/2 the "bite" is excellent even when printed large.

The 55/3.5 is still a very high quality macro lens. Do get the extension tube, and try it out at 1:1 - you won't regret it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great experience isn't it ? I love these lenses pretty much!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple more pics with this lens. I'm loving using it!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice... and a reminder to get one for myself Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I only "discovered" manual lenses a couple of weeks ago. I picked up an ai 55 3.5 macro as well as the 50 1.4. Here are some shots with the macro. Hand held but still fairly sharp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have already discovered the quality of these two lenses.

Yebisu wrote:

That is some very fine bokeh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so nice, sharp and look 3D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely shots. I have both of these lenses & love them. The 50mm 1.4 lacks contrast wide open but as soon as you stop it down to f2 or more, it's a cracker. The macro lens is superb at all apertures

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.

A month or two ago I was looking around for 50mm primes and macros for my D3000 but I gave up. I couldn't justify the expense; 45,000 yen for 50 1.4G, about the same for sigma equivalent, 60,000 yen for the Nikkor 60 2.8 micro. I'm sure these are great lenses and I'd love to use them but just can't afford them.

Then I stumbled into this forum and found out that manual lenses were a viable and affordable option. I live in Japan and there are plenty of places to buy used camera gear. So I picked up the Ai 50 1.4 (3500 yen) and the 55 3.5 micro (3000 yen with an F50 attached).

So a big thank you to the people who share their images and expertise on this forum.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some shots I submitted to the Guardian Newspaper Camera Club's Car Assignment. Taken with the 50 1.4.

Thanks for looking

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few more with the Ai 50 1.4

Thanks for looking