Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I just bought a Jupiter 8 on eBay - Update
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: I just bought a Jupiter 8 on eBay - Update Reply with quote

Not sure if this was a good move or not, as reviews I have found are all over the map. It would seem it is very sharp in the center but poor @ the edges, if you get a good copy. I am hoping that on my 2x crop bodies I will get the sweet spot of the lens. I liked the fact that that it was faster by a bit than most soviet 50s & this one also comes with an extension tube allowing macro shots with it.

I am interested in the opinion of the folks here.

BTW, I have tried repeatedly to use the search function on this forum both now & in the past & cannot ever get a result. I must not be doing something correctly.

Last edited by revers on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Small and good as than an any average 50mm lens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it's a Sonnar, so you cannot compare it with other 50s Laughing I love my sonnar lens by the way, great for portrait

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this guy thinks it's the best russian 50:

"The Industar 61 L/D is possibly the most highly regarded, and certainly the most often discussed, optic for the Ukrainian Leica copies such as FED and Zorki. There is no doubt that it is a great, sharp lens, well-constructed and even handsome, all assuming of course that you are in posession of a good sample. And once overhauled (see Links below) the I-61 L/D can be quite the jewel in the crown of your kit. But... I must say, having pitted it directly against the other normal lenses in my LTM arsenal, I can't say that it performs even noticeably better than its brothers, the amber coated I-61 or even the oft-neglected I-26M. They are all great performers when working well. And I daresay the LTM Jupiter-8 has a slight edge on them all. Granted, it's nice to have click-stops on your aperture ring!"

http://www.mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/industar_61_ld.html

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also discovered that "quick search" doesn't work very well, so I usually use "search" Wink

I have two copies, one old 5cm from -55 and one newer black 50mm from -89. I can't really see much difference in IQ when I compare the two.

IMO the jupiter 8 is a good lens. Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To quick search need to select and mark word first and right after click on quick search.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
To quick search need to select and mark word first and right after click on quick search.

Ah, genius Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry it is not obvious , might be I will make a bubble hint on Quick search link to inform better people.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys, I sure hope I get a good copy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will Ron, I never seen any bad one from a couple of one what I did purchase already.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
well this guy thinks it's the best russian 50:

"The Industar 61 L/D is possibly the most highly regarded, and certainly the most often discussed, optic for the Ukrainian Leica copies such as FED and Zorki. And I daresay the LTM Jupiter-8 has a slight edge on them all. Granted, it's nice to have click-stops on your aperture ring!"
l

Well sir, you may very well be correct. I got my copy of the Jupiter-8 & pitted it against my Industar-61 LD. Let folks judge for themselves.

1. Industar-61LD @ f4

2. Jupiter-8 @ f4

I took a crop of the upper right corner of each - Industar on left:

They were shot at minimum focus distance, the Jupiter actually focuses a bit closer than the Industar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my favorite Soviet lenses.

Not really sharp @ f/2, better @ f/4 and sharp @ f/5.6-8

Wonderful for portraits.

Smooth like butter and not as fattening!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not spot any difference between my I61 and my J8 on film (FED 3), so I decided to sell the I61 and keep the J8 for the faster aperture.
Now that I've got a NEX, I would like to test again.
But I really like the J8 so I think I would not decide differently.

The lenses that could make me replace the J8 are a Summicron 50, a Summilux 50, a Summitar 50 or one of the Voigtländer 50mm M-lenses (Heliar 2/50, Nokton 1.5/50 or Nokton 1.1/50, the last one being rather big, perhaps too large for a replacement) or perhaps a Canon LTM 50.
But each of those is really expensive compared to a J8...