Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Need some help with sigma lenses!
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:14 am    Post subject: Need some help with sigma lenses! Reply with quote

Hey guys first time poster here.

I own two sigma lenses, both super wide II 1:2.8 f-24mm.
One of them is from my minolta 5000 and the other one I just bought on ebay.

Basically I want to use one of these lenses on my sony alpha. The one that fits my minolta fits the sony fine, but I can't adjust the aperture. The other lens (the one from ebay) has a Canon adaptor on it. This lens has a manual aperture control.

Is there any way I can get that sigma lens with the manual aperture on to my sony? I really have no idea about adapters etc. Kind of new to photography.

I assumed I'd be able to remove the canon adaptor and attatch a sony on, but is the manual aperture part of the canon adaptor?

EDIT: thanks for fixing the picture.

Last edited by mitten on Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Need some help with sigma lenses! Reply with quote

mitten wrote:
Hey guys first time poster here.

I own two sigma lenses, both super wide II 1:2.8 f-24mm.
One of them is from my minolta 5000 and the other one I just bought on ebay.

Basically I want to use one of these lenses on my sony alpha. The one that fits my minolta fits the sony fine, but I can't adjust the aperture. The other lens (the one from ebay) has a Canon adaptor on it. This lens has a manual aperture control.

Is there any way I can get that sigma lens with the manual aperture on to my sony? I really have no idea about adapters etc. Kind of new to photography.

I assumed I'd be able to remove the canon adaptor and attatch a sony on, but is the manual aperture part of the canon adaptor?

here's a pic;

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a very few Sony Alpha owner, don't know any of them have experience with this subject.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Minolta fitting lens will need to be re-chipped to be fully compatible with your Sony I'm afraid. Ask the question on the Dyxum forum, but it will likely be more expensive than it's worth.

I'm afraid the Canon FD lens won't fit your Sony at all, and there are no adapters that will make it work without an optical element which will effect sharpness. The FD lens WILL work on Nex cameras, and micro 4/3 bodies, so there may be a market for it.

As for your Sony, you'll need to find another 24mm lens I'm afraid...perhaps look for a Tamron Adaptall-2 24/2.5 or Vivitar 24mm lens with M42 mount, which CAN be adapted for Sony Alpha bodies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw that's a shame. I'll probably just stick the canon one on eBay and keep looking.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same Sigma 24mm 2.8 is made with M42, what can be easily adapted to Sony.Minolta AF lenses fit on Sony, only some of the first series Sigma lenses for the 5000/7000 don't work AFAIK. My more recent Sigma lenses for AF (Konica) Minolta film cameras work without problems.