Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Minolta RF 500mm with new generic adapter on Panasonic L1
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:15 pm    Post subject: Minolta RF 500mm with new generic adapter on Panasonic L1 Reply with quote

These have no post processing and are oversize (I could not see how to post in oversize gallery?)

The exif will reveal much - the first 4 or 5 were hand held in low evening light at ISO 400 the others on tripod in 3pm light at ISO 100

The houses are about 90 meters distant, the trees maybe 120 meters..

The old adapter allowed the lens itself to rotate and made focus almost impossible (and the lens actually fell off the camera but I was lucky and my hand was just beneath it..) The focus is fairly smooth, but this is by no means a 'young' lens!

Doug

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty impressive from this long distance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

If the cloud ever clears, I am going to try for some moon shots...

Effective f8 / 1000mm on Panasonic L1..

Smile

Doug

Attila wrote:
Pretty impressive from this long distance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a 2x TC also if you have any. Focal length is never enough for moon shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila!

I tried live view to get critical focus on the Panny.. Ouch!!!

Even on a top-flight Bogen tripod with a sturdy arc-swiss head the slightest movement whilst focusing seemed like an earthquake..

I hesitate to think what it would be like with a x2 tele-converter (and I do have a few, as Minolta was my go-to maker back in manual 35mm film camera days) but I really don't think I could hold the camera steady enough to focus?

Any ideas welcomed!

Doug

Attila wrote:
Try a 2x TC also if you have any. Focal length is never enough for moon shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focus and wait and use remote shutter releaser. I have no other idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep..

I used the self timer..

it's the focus that is the killer!

Attila wrote:
Focus and wait and use remote shutter releaser. I have no other idea.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On moon should don't need any focusing I expect from a top lens like this infinity is exactly at infinity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is about 1cm 'free' at either end of the focus scale, so it can focus 'beyond' infinity? I'm told this was to allow for expansion in the lens components or??

Doug

Attila wrote:
On moon should don't need any focusing I expect from a top lens like this infinity is exactly at infinity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea why , quite common issue on lenses, they not reach infinity focus at exactly at end position. I think you can set daytime where is correct infinity on lens and mark on lens tube. At night you can simple rotate to there without any focusing trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTILA!!!!

Why do you have these ideas which are both brilliant and obvious but which, sadly never occur to me? lol

Thanks you!

I am calibrating infinity as I write this...
Smile

Doug

Attila wrote:
No idea why , quite common issue on lenses, they not reach infinity focus at exactly at end position. I think you can set daytime where is correct infinity on lens and mark on lens tube. At night you can simple rotate to there without any focusing trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had almost same case just a few days before, I did sit half an hour an lens what was built into a metal arm I couldn't figure out how can I remove this arm. I did bring stuff to my friend who is repair cameras and lenses. He did laugh and said 'it will be a difficult and expensive repair' he did push and pull on lens barrel and he did un-screw lens from metal arm Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to know that I am not the only one having 'senior moments' Obi-Wan!

Doug

Attila wrote:
I had almost same case just a few days before, I did sit half an hour an lens what was built into a metal arm I couldn't figure out how can I remove this arm. I did bring stuff to my friend who is repair cameras and lenses. He did laugh and said 'it will be a difficult and expensive repair' he did push and pull on lens barrel and he did un-screw lens from metal arm Embarassed

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to both for showing up the problem and the solution!.
I have a similar problem with the Tamron SP 500mm F8, that infinity is not exactly at the end... Smile All my moonshots were blurred.
Now I have something to try.
Again, thanks!
Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow I fear that irrespective of finding infinity, unlike you, I shall have the greatest difficulty finding a clear sky in Oregon where 222 days are overcast every year!

Doug

Jesito wrote:
I have a similar problem with the Tamron SP 500mm F8, that infinity is not exactly at the end... Smile All my moonshots were blurred.
Again, thanks!
Regards,
Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesito wrote:
Again, thanks!
Regards,
Jes.

Another one that had this problem with the Tamron Embarassed When this problem occurred the first time, I didn't know much about the technical side of photography though.
I now only use manual focus lenses for night photography that don't focus beyond infinity Smile

For moon photography, I'd like to recommend MrEclipse's website. Contains very useful information on focal lengths, exposure, ... to use.
Easy rule says that (for FF):

Size of moon (mm) = focal length (mm) / 100

You need ~2000mm to fill a full frame frame Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nemesis101 wrote:

Even on a top-flight Bogen tripod with a sturdy arc-swiss head the slightest movement whilst focusing seemed like an earthquake..

so, now you understood what I mean in my thread Smile . I just wait it stops.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am more confused than ever? lol

Doug

quote="enzodm"]
nemesis101 wrote:

so, now you understood what I mean in my thread Smile . I just wait it stops.[/quote]