Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is it the lens or is it the subject ? [Carl Zeiss 2/100 MP]
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:06 pm    Post subject: Is it the lens or is it the subject ? [Carl Zeiss 2/100 MP] Reply with quote

I would like your opinion on the following.

A few weeks ago my sister printed this photo on a 50x70 cm canvas and hanged it on a wall in her living room.
I never paid any special attention to this photo. It was just another photo, lost among the many thousands in my collection.
I have taken many favorite photos of my niece, much better, I think, than this one.

However, sitting in the sofa 4 meters away from the photo, I have found myself
(at least three different days), wondering: "Why is he staring at me??"

Do you think it has that much 3D and contrast that makes it so "alive" and "convincing",
or is it just the fact that I see beloved persons?
I have never experienced something like this with any other photo.

Taken with Carl Zeiss 2/100 Makro Planar ZE

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect! It's everything, contrast, sharpness...and enough DOF at f8 to keep the persons completely in focus. Too shallow DOF kills the separation of subject outlines from OOF areas. At least according to my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRunner wrote:
Perfect! It's everything, contrast, sharpness...and enough DOF at f8 to keep the persons completely in focus. Too shallow DOF kills the separation of subject outlines from OOF areas. At least according to my opinion.

+1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it the lens or is it the subject ? [Carl Zeiss 2/100 Reply with quote

nkanellopoulos wrote:

However, sitting in the sofa 4 meters away from the photo, I have found myself
(at least three different days), wondering: "Why is he staring at me??"

Do you think it has that much 3D and contrast that makes it so "alive" and "convincing",
or is it just the fact that I see beloved persons?
I have never experienced something like this with any other photo.

Well, first of all, I think it is a fantastic photo. The focus is spot-on, the depth of field just right.

But since both people who are looking at the camera are wearing sunglasses, to me, at least the appearance that they are looking at me is not so great.

Having said that, though, it is one of the curious "optical illusions" if you will, that if a person is looking directly at the photographer when the photo is taken (or the painter when the portrait is painted), it has the effect that, no matter where you are positioned in relation to the image, the eyes will appear to be focused on you. Perhaps this is what you're experiencing?