Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Leitz Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90mm and Pentax K-5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:42 pm    Post subject: Leitz Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90mm and Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

Hi,

have a lot of Leica lenses converted to Nikon F mount. Now it is very easy to change this mount with a Pentax PK mount (only 6 screws and the new mount)

Here a try with Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90mm and Pentax K-5

Thanks for viewing and comments.

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice pic Rolf!

Quote:
Now it is very easy, only 6 screws and the new mount

the screws should not be a problem, to get the Leica lens is the limiting factor Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
nice pic Rolf!

Quote:
Now it is very easy, only 6 screws and the new mount

the screws should not be a problem, to get the Leica lens is the limiting factor Laughing

Thanks Poilu.

You are right, but you know - the only thing you need is the dear dealer at the next corner. Rolling Eyes

Wink

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice picture ! I love the colours.

I like pretty much your new avatar too... Wink
Seeing his eyes, I wonder wether he has everything under control...
What's his name ? Clarence Daktari ?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Nice picture ! I love the colours.

I like pretty much your new avatar too... Wink
Seeing his eyes, I wonder wether he has everything under control...
What's his name ? Clarence Daktari ?

Thanks Olivier.

Her name is "Heidi" the cross-eyed Opposum from the zoo in Leipzig/Germany. She is the new star here and is following "Paul" - the octopus.

"Paul" was very famous last year when he forecasted correct all the results of the soccer world championchip. He lived in the Sealife aquarium in Duisburg/Germany but unfortunately he died in the meantime.

Now "Heidi" is on the way. First service was the forecast of the winner for the Golden Globe yesterday evening and I believe she was right with Natalie Portmann.

I´m just thinking about to visit the zoo. Perhaps "Heidi" knows the lottery numbers for the next week Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My eyes would do the same in front of Nathalie Portman... Cool

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rolf -- nice picture, of course!

... but can you ask Natalie where you dear dealer stays? Smile

or better one -- where to get Kinoptik 2/100 for 100 GBP?

Thanks in advance!

tf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Leitz Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90mm and Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:
Hi,

have a lot of Leica lenses converted to Nikon F mount. Now it is very easy to change this mount with a Pentax PK mount (only 6 screws and the new mount)

Wink

a very beautiful image, great colors too.

Rolf I am sure that your knowledge and experience of converting Leica lenses to K mount is of interest to many. I would politely ask you to share that, if not already done, in a dedicated thread at the 'digital SLR camera subforum, or in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-k10d-and-manual-focus-lenses-t3281.html ( though there it says on Pentax K10D )
- or just a hint which source for a conversion mount you would recommend: again, if I remember right, you first used an expensive one from Leitax but later tried another, 'cheapish' chinese alternative which is working just as well?

Also I have been wondering what made you buy a K5 and what makes you use it, having a FF Nikon, before that using a Canon FF, if I recall correctly.
and specifically how you like the colors rendered by the K5 as compared to your other cameras

thank you for any input on that,

best regards and greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Leitz Leica Elmarit-R 2.8/90mm and Pentax K-5 Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Rolf wrote:
Hi,

Wink

a very beautiful image, great colors too.

Rolf I am sure that your knowledge and experience of converting Leica lenses to K mount is of interest to many. I would politely ask you to share that, if not already done, in a dedicated thread at the 'digital SLR camera subforum, or in this thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/pentax-k10d-and-manual-focus-lenses-t3281.html ( though there it says on Pentax K10D )
- or just a hint which source for a conversion mount you would recommend: again, if I remember right, you first used an expensive one from Leitax but later tried another, 'cheapish' chinese alternative which is working just as well?

Also I have been wondering what made you buy a K5 and what makes you use it, having a FF Nikon, before that using a Canon FF, if I recall correctly.
and specifically how you like the colors rendered by the K5 as compared to your other cameras

thank you for any input on that,

best regards and greetings,
Andreas

Thanky you Andreas. A lot of question in one post Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing but I will try to give some answers.

1. Yes, at first I started with the leitax conversion, which is with the most of Leica lenses very easy and normally a question of 5 or 10 minutes (if you can remove all screws without a problems, sometimes not so easy with 30 - 40 years old lenses). For the documentation I would recommend the leitax site because all conversions have there a well documentation.

2. If you have converted the lens to Nikon F mount you only have to remove the Nikon F mount and replace it with the PK mount.

3. I bought at first my mounts also at David, but I have to say that this is in the meantime very expensive. Approx. 65,00 € for the mount, 18 % VAT and 10 € or so for handling etc. - that means that you will have at the end of the day a price of approx. 90 € for the mount. For that price I can get 5-6 pcs. from China, and the qualitiy is not significant cheaper. At the moment I do not have long term experiences with these mounts, but if one doesn´t work no longer I have always 3-4 parts in my little warehouse.

4. I own at the moment 3 DSLR (beside m4/3) and I decided to use these bodies in the future only with their native lenses and mounts.

- For high quality shots during my trips I will use the Canon 1DsMKiii and my L lenses. No compromisses in term of IQ, quickness, AF accuracy, crop capabilities etc. - this is for a form of focused photography, not thinking whether focus, aperture or exposure will be correct. They ARE correct.

- The D700 was a decision to look whats on the other side of the fence, because I´m since 30 years mainly a Canon shooter. On the Nikon side I could buy some nice lenses at my dear dealer and so it is for my hobby with MF lenses. This afternoon I will get for example a nice Nikkor 2/35 and and also nice 4.5/300 ED for a good bargain price. I own a F5 too, so furthermore a good chance to go analog and digital with the same lenses.

- The K-5 is the follower of my K200D which I sold last year. This cam is only for my M42 lenses. I bought it due to 2 main reasons :

1. very well high ISO capabilities
2. internal anti-shake which becomes for me more and more important.

The adaption from M42 to P/K is more a "bayonet conversion" because the origial Pentax adapter will remain into cam when you change the lenses.

And the Leica lenses? They are my silent passion since many years ago. Many of them (not all !) are the best you can buy for the money. I´m not a technician but I worked my whole life in the high tech industrie and therefore I´m technic enamored.

Last answer how I compare the K-5 against my other cams. I know that it is for many user a question of budget. For a budget of approx. 1000 € it is a nice and well equipped cam. Results are fine especially with good/very good lenses. The high iso capabilty and the very good results there in combination with the built-in anti shake are the high lights.

If you have a D700/D3xxx or a Canon 1Dxxxxx in your hand you will "feel" the differences (beside any technical aspects). I do not think too much about other aspects - mainly the points I can chance during PP only with the move of a slider.

Wink

Last edited by Rolf on Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wise choice for the K5 !
I'll think about that in the future (internal anti shake) Smile

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olivier wrote:
Wise choice for the K5 !
I'll think about that in the future (internal anti shake) Smile

Well Olivier, for me the future is already present. Crying or Very sad The time were I have had hands without a tremor is long time ago.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a lot of good things about this lens. Does it live up to it's reputation and is it worth the money?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Rolf for your detailed response

good to have confirmation that cheap Chinese mounts will suffice

I am surprised that you use your Canon 1DsMKiii for your trips. Because I travel a lot the small form factor and lightness of the Pentax are very important to me.

if I only could change the colors of my photos simply by the move of a slider!:
I asked about how you liked the colors because I can't get to like those of my Pentax K-x at good, strong light, I like those of my earlier *istDs much better and wonder how the K-5 compares. I am considering getting a NEX with it's LCD-enlarged-focusing and video modes, the points I'd loose going back using my *istDs, and use it alongside the *istDs.
Image Stabilisation sure I would miss though: I love taking handheld shots at high ISO and wide open, fast lenses still needing long shutter speeds, simply because it is something that has not been possible to do before.
Maybe I just have to learn PPing better though..

thank's again for your insights,
best greetings,
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinsmith99 wrote:
I hear a lot of good things about this lens. Does it live up to it's reputation and is it worth the money?

Well Martin, I believe this lens is worth every cent. Here a link with some shots and the Nikon F mount on D700

http://forum.mflenses.com/leica-elmarit-r-2-8-90mm-first-shots-t35519.html

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
thank you very much Rolf for your detailed response

good to have confirmation that cheap Chinese mounts will suffice

I am surprised that you use your Canon 1DsMKiii for your trips. Because I travel a lot the small form factor and lightness of the Pentax are very important to me.

if I only could change the colors of my photos simply by the move of a slider!:
I asked about how you liked the colors because I can't get to like those of my Pentax K-x at good, strong light, I like those of my earlier *istDs much better and wonder how the K-5 compares. I am considering getting a NEX with it's LCD-enlarged-focusing and video modes, the points I'd loose going back using my *istDs, and use it alongside the *istDs.
Image Stabilisation sure I would miss though: I love taking handheld shots at high ISO and wide open, fast lenses still needing long shutter speeds, simply because it is something that has not been possible to do before.
Maybe I just have to learn PPing better though..

thank's again for your insights,
best greetings,
Andreas

No problem Andreas. Yes cheaper mounts will work too. I paid 15,00 € /pcs incl. shipment from China.

I always read that many photographers like to travel lightweight. But for what I have a very good cam and lenses when not for such situations in my life ? Yes, sometime it is not so comfortable to go around with few kilos of equipment, but normally I don´t visit these places twice. So no compromise concerning IQ etc. And when I travel around I have also only 2 or 3 lenses with me. (S)WW, midrange zoom for every day use and perhaps a moderate tele lens like the 2/135L etc. I take additional lenses only with me when I know that I will shoot some specials, like museum, bad light conditions etc.

Wink

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolf wrote:

Well Olivier, for me the future is already present. Crying or Very sad The time were I have had hands without a tremor is long time ago.

Sorry to read that my friend. Embarassed
It seems you manage to cope this.
Your photographies are beautiful.