Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

First digital shots Nikkor Q 135mm f3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 8:14 pm    Post subject: First digital shots Nikkor Q 135mm f3.5 Reply with quote

This is the last of my pre-a/i lenses to be converted to a/i.
Couple of frames wide open in dim, and diffuse light. ISO 1600.

Crop of image above:

once more:

crop of image above.

I know it's a single coated, old and slow 135mm.
MFD is sort of long compared to modern counterparts at 5 ft- 1.5 meters.

For what it is, it's entirely usable.
I had good results with it on film with an L-37-C filter over it outdoors.

A quick snap of the name ring:

Side view mounted on the D-810.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small

I agree. It's a perfectly good old 135. They're inexpensive, too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. You know, I don't know if the optical formulas are the same, but one of the sharpest Nikkors I've ever owned was an AI 135/3.5, a fantastic lens, yet quite economical. So I guess all I'm saying is, I'm not surprised in the least by your great results.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#135

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#135

Thanks for that link.
One of my oft-visited reference sites.
Optical formulas did a lot of changing over the life of the 135mm m/f line~ worthwhile reading.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great day for lens testing. Still, we try.

Extended aftermath of the Club Morocco fire.

At f 5.6 here and ISO 100, unfiltered.
Contrast transitioning is pretty weak with the single "blue" coating on this lens.
I should have did a control shot with the L-37-C filter over the lens, but did not think of it.

Crop of image above.

I have a bit more to do with this lens yet- getting it out in normal day-light would give it a bit of a chance.
These leaden grey skies can be challenging at times, even for more modern lenses.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After working this lens for a few days, I am fairly well convinced it was purpose designed.

It seems to have a sweet spot in the 8 to 35-40 foot range or so.
I tried with the nikkor coatings coated filter L-37-C today in the brilliant sunshine, and could detect little in the way of differences.
It is surprisingly sensitive to hand-held shutter speed~ at least in my not so steady hands. It seems to like 1/125 sec or better.
I'll get one more sample set up later.
It has been a very interesting day.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

F11
White-tail deer in the Field of Honor military section at Brookside.
Dad would get a chuckle out of this.

Crop of frame above.

F8
Directory for Veterans. About 12 feet/3.2 meters distance.

Crop of above frame.

F11 here and 1/125 sec. Shutter was a little slow to isolate the bird's rapid movements.
About 40 feet/10meters. About an 85% crop.

It wants to flare quite a bit towards the sun. With both the dedicated hood and L37-C filter mounted.
This lens performs a bit better than I was expecting.
It seems to want bright daylight and blue skies, which is o.k. by me.
It already has a reserved spot in the daily carry bag. Very Happy

-D.S.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I had one some years ago, and I recall having very good results with it. Not bad, not spectacular.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What wonderful results with an affordable old lens.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gaeger wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.
I like to think so as well.
I need to investigate these pre-A/I lenses a lot further.

It actually came with an old FTN camera I bought a couple of years ago.
I had to go back to the shop for a lens cap for the 50 on it, and the manager said there's a box that comes with it.
There was the usual old camera stuff in there-cable releases, manuals, a hard ever-ready case, etc., and this old 135 still in it's factory bullet case.

What gets to me is that it actually needed a coated filter for color film- the with and without differences were glaring.
Not so much with the current D-810 camera. Other than some very slight differences in contrast, I can't find much.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:

There are definitely some good ones. The Nikkor-H Auto 85 1.8 comes to mind, as does the Nikkor-P Auto 105 2.5.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEO wrote:

There are definitely some good ones. The Nikkor-H Auto 85 1.8 comes to mind, as does the Nikkor-P Auto 105 2.5.

The 85 f1.8 I have, in the "K" variant.
This was a much sought after lens for me, and it took a good 38-39 years for me to finally get my hands on one.
For a lens that came out at the height of the Kodachrome era, it is not bad.
It doesn't get used anywhere near as much as I thought it would. I'm not sure what it is~ probably my present image taking style.
I am going to hang onto it for a while yet. It is still at this late stage, part of the learning game for me.

I suspect that the "H" probably renders differently, with a slightly different optical formula- the MFD on the "H" is a bit longer than the "K".

It, and almost all variants of the 105 are fairly scarce around here.
Something definitely to keep an eye out for.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a nice result, thanks for sharing. Isn't it close to CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135 performance?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:
What a nice result, thanks for sharing. Isn't it close to CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135 performance?

I haven't a clue. No experience at all with Zeiss glass I'm afraid.
The design is one of nikon's earliest SLR lenses with 4 elements in 3 groups.
I had read somewhere that this was a derivative of one of the old nikon rangefinder lenses, but am not sure.
It's kind of big for a rangefinder lens, I think, and would probably dwarf an "S" if one were able to get it mounted.

There's probably a lot more info on these at the nikonian's page.
I do have to look around and see if I can find a simple schematic for this one.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Very nice. You know, I don't know if the optical formulas are the same, but one of the sharpest Nikkors I've ever owned was an AI 135/3.5, a fantastic lens, yet quite economical. So I guess all I'm saying is, I'm not surprised in the least by your great results.

Hello here my old friend.

Note that they're not the same formula. The optical formula changed from the -Q version to the AI version.

And yes, the AI 135/3.5 is a fantastic lens. I had one, sold it, only to buy another one later because I missed it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Sharptail wrote:
gaeger wrote:

Thanks for the kind words.
I like to think so as well.

It actually came with an old FTN camera I bought a couple of years ago.
I had to go back to the shop for a lens cap for the 50 on it, and the manager said there's a box that comes with it.
There was the usual old camera stuff in there-cable releases, manuals, a hard ever-ready case, etc., and this old 135 still in it's factory bullet case.

What gets to me is that it actually needed a coated filter for color film- the with and without differences were glaring.
Not so much with the current D-810 camera. Other than some very slight differences in contrast, I can't find much.

-D.S.

It's possible that the Nikkor-Q, using those ancient blue coatings, passes a fair amount of UV or IR light, and the filter you're using restricts it. Color film will reveal a difference there.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex ph wrote:

I owned the CZJ Sonnar 3.5/135 MC, as well as other nice 135 as the Pentax SMCT 2.5/135, so in the past i did a simple comparison between those two and the Nikkor-Q 3.5/135.

The Pentax and the CZJ were the most contrasty. All of them had about the same resolution. The Nikkor-Q had a bit lower contrast and seemed to be more flare sensitive. It was also the only single-coated lens in this comparison.

All three lenses had really nice bokeh.

The CZJ and the Nikkor-Q have the same "tele-sonnar" optical structure.

I have the option of buying a Nikkor-Q-C 135/3.5, which is multicoated, and i'm thinking if it would be a nice idea...