Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Exakta lenses on 5D Mk. II-I thought I was an expert, but...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:12 am    Post subject: Exakta lenses on 5D Mk. II-I thought I was an expert, but... Reply with quote

...it seems I'm not. I've been shooting with 10D - 40D for years, and have only heard that certain lenses have issues with full frame.

I got to use a rental Canon 5D Mk. II for a some video footage for a project I'm helping with. I was excited to try filming some video and also shooting full frame with my pre -war Primoplans/Biotars/Tessars etc.

But they all fouled the mirror. These were all 50-58mm lenses. Looking closely, it's the back of the Exakta lens mount itself that hits the mirror at the very top of it's travel. Even when the lenses were racked to their close focus distances.

I thought these lenses were fine as they don't really have any elements that stick out. And, it's the lens mount lugs themselves that seem to be the issue.

When the adapter is screwed on by itself, there is no problem.

I have 2 different adapters, one with the set screw, one with the little locking tabs. Neither one is too thin, as on a 40D all the lenses don't quite hit infinity.

Lenses used:
1938 Biotar 5.8cm/f2
1937 Primoplan 5.8cm/f1.9
1936 Tessar 5cm/f2.8.

Could it be camera variance?

Was thinking hard about going full frame...tho' with a used 5D Mk. I as I don't need video. Do I have to shave the mirror to be able to use ANY Exakta lens?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Exakta lenses on 5D Mk. II-I thought I was an expert, bu Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
...it seems I'm not. I've been shooting with 10D - 40D for years, and have only heard that certain lenses have issues with full frame.

I got to use a rental Canon 5D Mk. II for a some video footage for a project I'm helping with. I was excited to try filming some video and also shooting full frame with my pre -war Primoplans/Biotars/Tessars etc.

But they all fouled the mirror. These were all 50-58mm lenses. Looking closely, it's the back of the Exakta lens mount itself that hits the mirror at the very top of it's travel. Even when the lenses were racked to their close focus distances.

I thought these lenses were fine as they don't really have any elements that stick out. And, it's the lens mount lugs themselves that seem to be the issue.

When the adapter is screwed on by itself, there is no problem.

I have 2 different adapters, one with the set screw, one with the little locking tabs. Neither one is too thin, as on a 40D all the lenses don't quite hit infinity.

Lenses used:
1938 Biotar 5.8cm/f2
1937 Primoplan 5.8cm/f1.9
1936 Tessar 5cm/f2.8.

Could it be camera variance?

Was thinking hard about going full frame...tho' with a used 5D Mk. I as I don't need video. Do I have to shave the mirror to be able to use ANY Exakta lens?

Please check this thread in the adaptor section.
http://forum.mflenses.com/exa-and-exakta-eos-adapters-t36062.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference to that thread...

Where do I get a 'thick' adapter? Luckily for me, both the pre war Biotar and Primoplan are fairly easy to re-adjust infinity focus, so the few tenths of a millimeters I'll need should be doable.

I see there is a group order for adapters...does this include a 'thick' adapter, and do I have to quickly post a bunch of "+1" replies to get to the 100 message level so I can access this order? Confused

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eggboy wrote:
Thanks for the reference to that thread...

Where do I get a 'thick' adapter? Luckily for me, both the pre war Biotar and Primoplan are fairly easy to re-adjust infinity focus, so the few tenths of a millimeters I'll need should be doable.

I see there is a group order for adapters...does this include a 'thick' adapter, and do I have to quickly post a bunch of "+1" replies to get to the 100 message level so I can access this order? Confused

No 'thick' adaptor is avaliable. All the high quality adaptors in the group order is in the 'correct' thickness. Some cheap adaptor is a bit thicker than the expensive one.

You will get more benefit if you reach 100 messages. Wink