Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Matching a film body to my lenses - help.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject: Matching a film body to my lenses - help. Reply with quote

Hi all, thanks for stopping in.

I recently took possession of a Contax S2 through the purchase of a private collection primarily for the lenses. The body really impressed me and I thought I had the prefect sidekick to my DSLR (an A900). I was hoping to convert most of my lenses to M42 so as to be able to use them on both bodies interchangeably via adapter.

It turns out my key lens (anniversary Planar) won't fit in an M42 mount and thus is being reborn as A mount. This throws a loop in my plan having the wonderful S2 as my alternate, so I turned my attention to later Minolta SLRs looking for a suitable, preferrably manual body to take my A mount lenses, but I'm new to all the film camera options and felt this might be a good time to seek advice. It seems you either get manual MD bodies, or full-size, auto-focus maxxums. Am I stuck?

For the record, A-mount is non-negotiable, I've invested a lot into glass and now having the Planar (reversibly, but not quickly) remounted.

Regards,

Kelly.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_9xi ??

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minolta_9xi ??

Interesting, I hadn't seen that one. It seems it might be a bit of a learning curve according to Wiki, but 1/12000 shutter! I would hope that leaving it in Av wouldn't require the use of any of the mentioned program cards, otherwise it look like a contender - thanks for the link.

I wish Minolta made an S2, haha. I really enjoy this manual way of working. I'm still thinking to myself that I'll wait and see how hard it is to switch the mount on the Planar. Might just be swapping 4 screws on the back plate. Wouldn't need the aperture levers (removed with mount swap) since the S2 is fully manual.

K.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, it'll be the maxxum 600Si 'classic' or a maxxum 7.

Thanks for letting me think outloud!

K.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Dynax/Maxxum 7xi (shutter not faster then 1/8000), quite a beast that works fine and Maxxum 70 (later, simpler and lighter end of film line). May be you should have a look for the Dynax/Maxxum classic 600si, somewhat later production then the 7xi. For really full blown ofcourse Maxxum 7 or 9, but they don't yet go for really low prices.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minolfan wrote:
I use Dynax/Maxxum 7xi (shutter not faster then 1/8000), quite a beast that works fine and Maxxum 70 (later, simpler and lighter end of film line). May be you should have a look for the Dynax/Maxxum classic 600si, somewhat later production then the 7xi. For really full blown ofcourse Maxxum 7 or 9, but they don't yet go for really low prices.

Thanks for the thoughts, I'll also look at the 70. I do rather like the 600 - it seems to be simpler and more analog in it's interface than others of its time. The 7 really seemed to be a super 600si with similar hardware controls - which I really like. I think I would probably go for the first minty one of either I could snipe for a respectively good deal. Selling the S2 should afford my choice. I just don't have the heart to let go of the S2 yet...

K.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dynax/Maxxum 7 was the most technological advance film camera from Minolta. 9, only the other hand was the last professional bodies from Minolta. 9 series (9000, 9xi, 9..) are professional bodies at its era whereas 7 series (7000, 7xi, 7 ...) are innovative trigger bodies. Minolta used to produced 9 series before 7 series.

By the way, you cannot use A mount lenses on MD bodies though you can use MD lenses on A mount body but only with a correction lens adapter.