Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Haze, scratch, cleaning marks, etc
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 pm    Post subject: Haze, scratch, cleaning marks, etc Reply with quote

How do they affect the image quality? I am asking because I am hunting for a Distagon 28/2.8 with a tight budget, and want to know if I should go for one with "haze" or skip it...

Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's dificult to answer your question in regards to how much it will effect the image.
Scratches on the front and near the edges will not have much effect usually on a mid to long lens but can on a wide.
In your case using a m4/3 if may be negligable considering that 50% of the usable Image circle falls outside the sensor.
Haze and fungus should be avoided period if on the interior surfaces. Fungus on a front element (say underneath a filter that has been on to long) can be cleaned with success).

I would like to suggest one thing. Since you have a m4/3 and a tight budget.
Maybe look for a Yashica ML 2.8/28.
Very similar performance to the Distagon 2.8/28 ( color, contrast, sharpness, distortion).
The corners are not quite as good neither is wide open performance (but close).
In your case corners are not important and one stop is not much to lose with a 28mm to gain better sharpness.
The cost of that lens is normally under $50.
Take a look in the lens gallery for sample of that excellent and underated lens.

BTW the Zuiko 3.5/28 and 2.8/28 are also excellent bargains and have similar performance although slightly more neutral colors.

Cheers
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the haze isn't inside the lens, can be fixed. But can be an internal question too (differences in the tension of the differents materials by bad fusion) and here not solution. You can note the differences in the tension putting the lens under polarized light.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

once someone tested all these influences by defacing a lens stepwise. i cannot find the link at the moment. perhaps anyone else here can.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supahmario wrote:
once someone tested all these influences by defacing a lens stepwise. i cannot find the link at the moment. perhaps anyone else here can.

Without an image of the lens or any in similar conditions the theme is an abstraction. All the things said in this forum and in anothers are applicable to the subject.

But if we can see the concrete problems, we can be more especific and more hepful too.

Rino.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
I would like to suggest one thing. Since you have a m4/3 and a tight budget.
Maybe look for a Yashica ML 2.8/28.
Very similar performance to the Distagon 2.8/28 ( color, contrast, sharpness, distortion).
The corners are not quite as good neither is wide open performance (but close).
In your case corners are not important and one stop is not much to lose with a 28mm to gain better sharpness.
The cost of that lens is normally under $50.

+111!!!!
i also can vouch for the yashica ml 28--a really great lens, under most circumstances i think it is difficult to notice the difference compared to the distagon and you can use the money you save to buy another 5 lenses!!! or a car. Laughing just in general, i have found the ml lenses to be just a fabulous find. i just got the 28-85 as well and i really am loving it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your suggestions. The haze is according to the item description, I do not have the lens at hand, so there is no way for me to examine it.

Regarding ML 28/2.8, I am actively considering it, and am sure it is a great lens. However, I think I will be second guessing its difference with Distagon 28/2.8 and getting Distagon regardless at the end, so it might be better for me to skip it...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at thic thread: http://forum.mflenses.com/lens-haze-effect-on-picture-quality-t19581,highlight,haze.html

Just two pictures: the first one taken with the lens with haze, the second one - same lens, but haze was cleaned. I would definitely avoid wide-angles with haze.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I cleaned my old Sigma Mini-wide that had haze, and the results are night and day.

Some lenses are easier to disassemble and clean than others. Wide angle primes are usually harder. Zooms can be impossible.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what 'HAZE' actually is.

Very often haze cannot be cleaned, and means that the coating of a lens element has gone bad (= coating has oxidated) and then you end up with an unfunctional lens, the contrast will be significantly less than a lens without the haze.

Unless the lens is very cheap, it would skip it, haze is often worse than fungus.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True. Sometimes haze is not cleanable. In the case of my Mini-Wide it seems it was mostly condensed lubricant, but there was also a little damage to the coating, so even after cleaning the lens is probably not as good as new.

I have seen a comment elsewhere about using aluminum polish to remove a damaged coating, maybe this is something to try in such cases. Maybe better no coating on one surface than haze ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:

I have seen a comment elsewhere about using aluminum polish to remove a damaged coating, maybe this is something to try in such cases. Maybe better no coating on one surface than haze ?

I think no coating is better than haze ... remember the old days (before there was coating).
The haze is preventing light to pass through the lens.

I once tried to use polish to play with a lens with damaged coating, but did not succeed, due to my impatience. It is very difficult to not damage the glass.

I am more interested in finding a way to use an acid. Anyone can share experience?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am conservative and can not tolerate for such Distagon 28/2.8 lens with "haze". 2 cents. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haze is not bad, but it may comes again sometimes after cleaning. My Meyer Orestor 100/2.8 has haze within the core aera. After cleaning, the haze went to front. But that is not very serious so I just skip it.

But my cluminar 85/2.8 is really an great problem. Not just haze, but the coating on the front elements also. The change of coating made an 'whiten' area on the front element. It is hard not see normally, but can be found when check from the back of the lens under strong light.

I don't really mind scratches, unless it is for selling or collection.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've attemped to clean maybe 50 lenses of fungus and 15 of haze.

Of the 50 lenses with fungus, I've cleaned about 30 without any damage on the lens element coatings. Another 15 would have had slight discoloration on the coatings, while around 5 have had damage to the coatings and the lens surface. (complete removal 60%, removal and minimal damage 30%, unsuccessful 10%)

On the other hand, I've probably managed to completely clean only 5-6 out of 15 lenses with haze. (complete removal maybe 30%, unsuccessful 70%)

So steer away from haze!!!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all, I have successfully steered away from the hazed lens without bidding on it. Laughing

On the other hand, how about cleaning mark on the front or back element? Do they have noticable effect on the image? Or is it primarily affecting cosmetic and resell value?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a crop from the top edge of a shot taken with a Pentax-M 1.7/50. The sunlight has picked up what could be cleaning scratches. I've tried to find them, even using a loupe, but there is just nothing visible on either of the external elements. Could be internal I suppose - I rebuilt this lens from two defective ones - but could they be in focus like this? I'm a bit stumped.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
On the other hand, how about cleaning mark on the front or back element? Do they have noticable effect on the image? Or is it primarily affecting cosmetic and resell value?

A few faint cleaning marks, or even scratches on the front element rarely affect anything, unless they are pronounced scratches *and* you are shooting straight into the sun.

Scratches and multiple cleaning marks on the rear lens element are unfortunately very likely to show up in the images, unless it's just a small scratch that's located off the optical axis (e.g. close to the top or bottom edge of the lens, the part that is not projecting to the rectangularly shaped sensor).

In general, I would avoid lenses with damaged rear elements (see exception above), but would consider lenses with damage on the front element (at a discount, 'cause I may want to sell such a lens at a later time).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all.

peterqd, that is one scary example...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samples taken with this lens are here

with a MINT COPY

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main effects of lens imperfections are on the mind of the obsessed lens collector, who is driven mad even by defects that cause no noticeable degradation of photos at reasonable magnifications.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fungus often grows under the coating detaching it from the glass. The damage is irreversible.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:

Samples taken with this lens are here

with a MINT COPY

Thats your Nikkor 180/2.8 ED? Nice piece but price must be fragment from clean one. And still more than usable.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Haze, scratch, cleaning marks, etc Reply with quote

aleksanderpolo wrote:
How do they affect the image quality?...
Thanks in advance

Check this out:
Smile
http://kurtmunger.com/dirty_lens_articleid35.html

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO unless the lens is pretty short, the front element imperfections will only result in a slight loss of contrast when pointed to a strong light source (it won't be visible at all in "normal" photos).